Chapter 10

I ate some of the eggs but for the most part I found myself pushing them around the plate. They were beyond cold by now. I should have used the time I had to think of a way to get out of here but instead I had allowed myself not to think at all. There was no point in plotting. I was trapped. If I tried to leave not only would I be risking my life but others as well. When I decided I couldn't pretend to eat the eggs anymore I got up to clean. I scrapped the plates into the trash and washed them. I knew it wouldn't be long before people started to trickle in. Pack houses were usually busy and this one was no exception.

"Hey, You're up early too?" Cassy asked. She was seated on the couch with another girl. The second girl appeared to be a little older. Her reddish brown hair was tied back in a braid.

I nodded answering Cassy's question.

"Ry, this is Emily. Since you are off grounding I figured you might want to get out of the house and do something and she really needs to get out and do something too." Cassy said.

I sat down in the chair across from them after giving Emily a polite nod. I had my white board so I could communicate.

"What should we do?" Emily asked.

"We could go to the mall?" Cassy said brightening. Emily and I shook our heads simultaneously. Emily smiled at me. "What about rafting?" Cassy suggested. Emily's eyes widened and she shook her head again.

"It's not even the right season... Absolutely not." Emily said.

"Well what do you think we should do then?" Cassy crossed her arms over her chest and sank back into the couch.

"Maybe we can start small, show Rylan around the territory instead of pushing past the limits." Emily said.

"But we've been all around the territory." Cassy whined.

"What about the water falls?" I asked. I knew Willow pack was home to Willow Falls. It was historic because it was said to be huge.

"Willow falls?" Cassy asked. Her eyes lit up. I nodded.

"I don't know if Silas and Aaron-" Emily started but Cassy interrupted her with a groan.

"Em come on. It's still in the territory. It's not super strenuous because we drive most of the way. We can have a calm picnic, a short hike, and be home before they even notice." Cassy said.

"We are not leaving without telling them." Emily said.

"Fine but tell Aaron, don't tell Silas. He's been extra up tight lately and I haven't been up to the falls in ages"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We should have borrowed Silas truck." Cassy said as Emily eased through another unavoidable whole on the road.

"No Em, your car will be fine. Don't be a baby. The roads alllways maintained..." Emily mimicked Cassy's words from before they left. Cassy sighed heavily and muttered an apology.

"I think I'm just going to park here. It's a little extra to walk but only a mile or so." Emily said pulling off to one side of the road.

"Agreed!" Cassy said. I nodded as well. I didn't mind a little extra walking.

"Rylan have you ever been to a waterfall?" Emily asked.

I shook my head. It was one of the many things I had yet to do.

"Oh you'll love it. Willow falls is one of the biggest." Emily said.

"I don't think its that big. Is it?" Cassy asked. She paused checking her pockets.

"It is the third largest. I did a report on it last year for my geography class." Emily said.

"I forgot my phone." Cassy said. Emily handed her the keys. We waited for her to come back before continuing on.

We hiked quietly for several minutes. I began to relax and enjoy my surroundings. The path slowly grew smaller. It was obviously for walking only. The trees that surrounded us grew surprisingly dense. It made me nervous to know that if someone lurked beyond the trees I wouldn't be able to see them until it was too late. I tried to focus on the soothing scent of the forest and the soft tweeting of the birds in the trees. If the birds were chirping there usually weren't predators around. The smell of the pine trees began to mix with the scent of water. Cassy could smell it as well. She perked up and began walking faster.

When we came into view of the falls we all stopped to admire it. It was bigger than I had expected. It had to be at least 400 feet tall and the amount of water gushing out gave it an ominous allure with the dark clouds hanging over head. I shook my head slowly. The storm was coming in quickly. As much as I wanted to go all the way up I knew it was time to leave. I could feel it in the pit of my stomach. I turned to look at the others. Emily wore an expression similar to mine but Cassy's was alight with mischief.

"Don't even start." Cassy said waving us both off. " It's just some rain. We will be fine."

Emily and I exchanged a glance. Emily shook her head. She had to be thinking the same thing I was. The road was awful coming in but if the rain started before we got back to the main highway we might not be able to.

"If you are that worried call Aaron and ask him to meet us. Please just don't make us leave before lunch." Cassy pleaded. Emily sighed and looked at me. I shook my head. The knot in my stomach felt heavier and the tiny hairs on my neck prickled.

"Cass, that's two against one. We have to go back." Emily said.

Cassy rolled her eyes but turned back away from the falls toward the trail. We were less than half way when the clouds caught up. It was a harsh rain. The drops were enormous and they fell at a fast pace. Emily looked at me with wide eyes. At this rate we wouldn't make it back in time to get the car out. I nodded. We had to make a run for it. We took off. I fell behind fairly quickly but Emily kept pace with me. I wanted to be annoyed that she was holding back for my sake but part of me felt like she didn't want to push herself either. My body was numb when we finally reached the car. I ignored the edges of black creeping into my vision. It hadn't been a long enough run for me to react like this. I focused on my breathing and the pounding in my ears began to quiet. When it was down to a dull roar and my vision hadn't failed I looked up at the girls. They were arguing. I stepped closer to figure out what was going on.

"You had the keys. You went back for your phone." Emily said. Cassy's eyes widened. She glanced around at the rain and shook her head.

"I'm sorry Em. I can go for help?" She said.

I shook my head quickly as did Emily.

"We have to stay together. Going off alone isn't an option." Emily said. I nodded in agreement.

"What do we do?" Cassy asked.

Emily pulled her phone out carefully shielding it from the rain.

"Lets try to get reception. Maybe we can call the guys." Emily said. Cassy nodded and pulled out her phone as well.

"I don't have anything." Cassy said after walking around for a moment. Emily groaned. I assumed that meant she didn't either. There was the slightest sound of brush rustling. It didn't sound like the wind. It was too low to the ground. I grabbed Emily's arm. She and Cassy both looked at me. I put a finger to my lips and pointed to where I had heard the sound. Emily and Cassy paused listening intently. Cassy's eyes widened and Emily paled. I tugged and pointed toward the trees. They followed immediately. We crouched silently behind the dense brush. The sound of voices grew nearer. They walked right by us. We could see their feet. No shoes and no pants. It was not uncommon for wolves to go for a run but I had an eerie feeling that these were not pack wolves.