sixteen

Newt and Neeki found the Obscurus in the subway

Newt and Neeki found the Obscurus in the subway. He walked through the tunnels quietly. The Obscurus gently swirled in the air above the train tracks. She was in her animal form, not trusting the black swirl. She could sense its sadness and anger. Those two emotions combined never had great outcomes.

Newt was hiding behind a pillar as he talked to it. "Credence. It's Credence, isn't it? I'm here to help you, Credence. I'm not here to hurt you," Newt reassured him.

The sound of soft footsteps could be heard. The pacing was deliberate. Newt moved out from behind the pillar and stepped onto the train tracks. Neeki trailed after him, eyeing the Obscurus's moments. Credence was a shadow inside of the Obscurus. He was scared.

"I've met someone just like you, Credence. A girl - a young girl who'd been imprisoned. She'd been locked away and she'd been punished for her magic."

Credence listened. He never knew there was another person like him. Slowly, the Obscurus left, leaving only Credence, huddled on the train tracks. Newt crouched on the floor. Credence looked at him with hope.

"Credence, can I come over to you? Can I come over?" Newt asked.

Newt slowly moved forward. Neeki's hair stood up. She looked to the side and immediately pounced on Newt, taking the hit. A bright light had struck her. She whimpered but got back up on her feet as she circled Newt and growled. Graves marched down the tunnel with intense purpose as Credence ran away.  Newt scrambled to his feet, wand drawn. Graves stood on the platform, continuing to duel with Newt and Neeki, who stood on the train tracks. Credence cowered behind him. Graves cast a spell that rippled along the train tracks and down the tunnel, finally blasting Newt. He landed on his back. Graves repeatedly threw spell after spell but most managed to hit Neeki who always jumped in the way.

"My, my, Kayla Tarnovsky, look at how well you've grown," Graves whispered. "But this is not your time to shine!"

He continued to whip Neeki until she dropped to the floor, then he moved onto Newt with a crazed look on his face. Credence was shaking, unable to control his sorrow and anger before he finally turned back into an Obscurial.

"Credence, no!" Tina shouted.

Tina ran onto the tracks. Inches from Graves's face, the Obscurus froze. Slowly, it rose back up, swirling more gently, staring at Tina, who looked straight back into its eyes.

"Don't do this - please," she pleaded.

"Keep talking, Tina. Keep talking to him - he'll listen to you. He's listening," Newt reassured.