forty

Neeki thrashed in her bed

Neeki thrashed in her bed. Her eyes were shut tightly as she whimpered in her sleep. There were beads of sweat forming in her forehead. She was alone in her room in the dark. A memory was playing in her head, but she didn't understand it. It had played in her head before when her memories were coming back to her, but there was something different about this one.

Kayla giggled as Grindelwald spun her around. He set her down gently and she crossed her eyes and stuck out her tongue.

"Are all 6-year-olds as silly as you?" he questioned.

Kayla hugged his leg and smothered her face into his pants. She looked up at him.

"Will you teach me magic, Uncle?"

He smiled. "I will when you are ready."

She frowned. "I'm not ready yet?"

"Not yet. Soon."

Another girl at the age of six was standing behind a tree, watching the two with sharp eyes. She was calculating their every move, seeing the way they breathed and the way they walked.

"Niya, dear, it's time for your medication," Margaret called out.

Niya did not move. Her hands clutched tightly at the tree. Her fingernails were scratching quickly at the bark, yet her eyes were unblinking.

"Niya, please. If you don't take your medication, your eyes will tire and a headache will come on."

She blinked once to look away from Grindelwald and Kayla, and looked at Margaret. She stared at her for a moment, then ran from the tree to her.

"Let's go inside," Margaret suggested. "Your father's in there, waiting for you with your medication."

"Okay, Mummy," Niya whispered.

"Good girl. Now, go along. I'll fetch Master and Kayla."

She nodded before running into the house.

Neeki woke up, eyes open and gasping loudly.