forty-one

Newt the baby Niffler rolled around on the bed, then stopped once he rolled onto his back

Newt the baby Niffler rolled around on the bed, then stopped once he rolled onto his back. He patiently waited for Neeki to pat him, staring at her from over his belly, but she stared at him, confused. The two continued to stare at each other. Newt waited patiently for her. He began to wiggle his butt around. Neeki smiled as she reached out for him and scratched his belly with her fingers. He smiled as he leaned his head back and comfortably wiggled around. Neeki laughed as she leaned over and kissed the top of his head. He rolled back onto his paws and climbed up her shirt. She gently patted him as if he was her child.

"You're good with animals - or so it looks like."

Neeki turned around to see Aurelius closing the door to her room. He walked in and sat on the couch in her room.

"I bet you are as well. How is your phoenix?" Neeki asked.

Aurelius's mouth twitched upward. "Good."

"Have you settled on a name?"

He smiled. "Cora. Her name is Cora."

"It's a pretty name. How'd you come up with that?" Neeki asked.

"I'm not sure. I just thought of it. Do you think it means something?" Aurelius asked.

"Most likely not. I would have expected you to name her Nagini."

"I guess that would have made sense, but I don't want to think about Nagini. It hurts to think about her," he admitted.

"I'm sorry. You must have loved her very much."

"I did. She was a great companion and friend when I was alone, but she's picked her side. I embraced Grindelwald because he told me he could show me who I really am, and now all I want is to learn more and understand where I came from. This journey has not proven anything to me, other than the fact that my name is Aurelius Dumbledore."

Neeki nodded. "You'll get there. Everyone eventually does."

She was reminded of Newt who was clinging onto her shirt by her chest. She tickled his nose with one finger.

"But sometimes, secrets are meant to be kept, not told," she whispered.