twenty-three

The trio was walking on the White Cliffs of Dover

The trio was walking on the White Cliffs of Dover. Pickett poked his head out of Newt's breast pocket and yawned. Neeki stuck her finger out and tickled Pickett's chin. He wiggled around with a smile.

Jacob spotted a sinister figure on the edge of the cliff, wearing tattered black robes. "Who is this guy?"

"He's the only way Neeki and I can leave the country without documentation. Now, you don't suffer from motion sickness, do you?" Newt asked.

Jacob shook his head. "I don't do well on boats, Newt."

Newt paused before answering, "You'll be fine."

Neeki chuckled. "He's nervous. I can smell it."

Newt sighed. "I am too."

"It's okay," she reassured. "I'll protect you."

"That's why I'm worried, Neeki. I can't have you running around. It's dangerous. Merlin knows how many heart attacks you've almost given me," Newt exasperated.

She pouted. "But I'm protecting you."

"Stir your stumps, it leaves in one minute!" the portkey tout shouted.

Newt sighed. "We'll talk later."

"No, I wanna talk now."

Jacob looked around for the conveyance in confusion, ignoring the rusty bucket on the ground.

"Fifty Galleons," the portkey tout demanded.

Neeki frowned as Newt steered clear of the conversation.

Newt shook his head. "No, we said thirty."

"Thirty to go to France, twenty not to tell anyone I seen Newt Scamander and his little pet leaving the country illegally."

Newt furiously paid him. "She's not a pet."

The portkey tout snickered. "Right, and I'm the Minister of Magic, pal. Ten seconds."

Newt picked up the bucket and held out his hand to Jacob, while Neeki wrapped her hand around Newt's bicep.

"Jacob." Newt gestured for him to take his hand.

Jacob stared at it, not sure if he was ready for what was coming. The two held hands like lovers would. Jacob let out a shriek as they were pulled away into thin air.