twenty-nine

The trio quietly walked to the direction of the records room atrium, but they had to get through the receptionist first

The trio quietly walked to the direction of the records room atrium, but they had to get through the receptionist first. They turned a corner into a beautiful atrium area in front of towering Art Nouveau doors carved to resemble trees. A very old woman named Melusine behind the desk was in the way of them entering.

"Puis-je vous aider?" Melusine asked.

"Er - yes, this is Leta Lestrange." Newt gestured to Neeki, his hand on his back. "And - I'm her fiancé..."

Neeki did not understand what fiancé meant.

"This is his sister and my sister-in-law," Tina added.

It had to work, right? Neeki was a person of color, while Tina and Newt were both white. Melusine lifted an ancient book onto the desk and opened it. Her finger trailed through lines of the book, searching for Leta Lestrange. Finally, she pointed to the door.

"Allez-y."

"Merci," Tina whispered timidly.

"Merci," Neeki repeated, the word sounding robotic.

"Thank you," Newt whispered.

Newt grabbed Neeki's hand and pulled her toward the doors to the records room. Melusine eyed them suspiciously as they passed by. The doors to the records office opened. They entered briskly. The doors closed behind them, plunging them into darkness.

"Lumos," Tina whispered.

A race of shelves stretched away from them, all carved to look like trees, disguised as the edge of a forest. Pickett poked his head out of Newt's pocket and squealed in excitement. Tina walked in front of the pair. Newt looked down at Pickett and nudged him with his finger. Pickett put his hand on Newt's finger and climbed up.

They weaved in and out of the carved shelves that were filled with rolled-up parchment, the occasional prophecy, and other mysterious trunks and boxes.

"What does fiance mean?" Neeki asked.

"Fiancé," Newt corrected.

Her eyebrows furrowed in as she murmured the word under her breath. "Fiancé."

"The female counterpart is fiancée. It's a woman to whom someone is engaged to be married," he described.

"Married..."

Newt briefly explained what the term meant after Queenie ran away from Jacob.