thirty-four

Nagini grabbed Credence and tried to drag him away with her, but he was staring at Grindelwald

"He knows who I am," Credence whispered.

"He knows what you were born, not who you are," Nagini responded.

Newt tried to get closer to Credence, but the fire was lashing out. Credence pulled away from Nagini and started walking to the flames in the center. Grindelwald embraces him once he reached the center.

"This has all been for you, Credence," Grindelwald said.

Queenie had left to go to the other side. Jacob wouldn't go with her and he tested her patience and honor. Tina screamed and attempted to get her sister back, but Queenie Disapparated long ago. Grindelwald used the Elder Wand as his conducting instrument to push the flames farther. Newt, Neeki, and Theseus were on one side of the flames together on the steps. Another woman suddenly Apparated next to Theseus and Newt. Her hands were on her hips as the Scamander brothers stared at her with wide eyes.

"Theseus Scamander!" she angrily shouted. "What is the meaning behind the danger you are in right now? If Flamel hadn't sent his Patronus to me with a message, you could be dead by now!"

He backed away, frightened. He put his hands in front of him to calm her down. "N-Niya, please - "

"Don't you dare tell me to calm down," Niya commanded. "I have been worried sick about you, Theseus. And you - " She turned to Newt. "I cannot believe you haven't Owled me in a month!"

"Niya, we're in the middle of something, love," Theseus coaxed.

She angrily turned around to glare at Grindelwald. "He doesn't scare me," she muttered.

Grindelwald's lips quirked up as she glanced at Niya before looking at Neeki. "Miss Tarnovsky."

Neeki narrowed her eyes at Grindelwald.

"Wouldn't you like to know of your heritage?" He stuck out his hand. "Come. Take my hand and I will show you everything you've ever wanted to know."

She looked at Newt with sad eyes. He shook his head, pleading with her.

"Only he knows, Newt," she whispered.

"Neeki, please don't," he pleaded.

She turned away from him and slowly walked down the steps before looking over her shoulder to look at him. "I love you. Thank you for everything."

She transformed into a black panther and jumped through the ring of blue flames that surrounded Grindelwald. Niya was startled to see her Animagus form. Grindelwald put his hand on Neeki's head and flattened her ears down gently.

"I knew you'd make the right choice," he whispered before turning to Newt and Theseus. "Mr. Scamander, do you think Dumbledore will mourn for you?" Grindelwald questioned as he threw a large burst of blue fire at them.

Niya growled as she turned into a black panther to protect Theseus. Neeki's eyes slightly widened in shock before she squeezed her eyes tightly.

"Grindelwald! Stop!" Leta shouted.

Theseus's eyes stayed on his fiancée. "Leta..."

Niya internally scowled.

"This one I believe I know," Grindelwald said.

Theseus made a gigantic effort of will, carving a passage toward Leta, determined to reach her. Grindelwald moved toward her through the flames Theseus fought closer, desperate to reach her.

"Leta Lestrange...despised entirely amongst wizards...unloved, mistreated...yet brave. So very brave. Time to come home." Grindelwald stretched out his hand. He looked at her, eyes narrowed.

She looked toward Theseus who was watching her, stunned. "I love you," she whispered.

She pointed her wand at Grindelwald and cast a killing curse, but he easily blocked it. He looked at her with a deadly glare. The fire engulfed Leta, turning her to ashes. Theseus tried to dive after her, but Newt grabbed him and Niya and Disapparated. Kama grabbed Nagini, then Disapparated.

Grindelwald clicked his tongue in annoyance. "I hate Paris."

Neeki meowed.