twenty-six

Queenie was on a sofa, beside a table of tea and cakes

Queenie was on a sofa, beside a table of tea and cakes. She set down her empty teacup. She was feeling awkward as it was instantly refilled by Rosier.

"Oh, no, thank you. You've been real kind, but my sister, Tina, is probably worried sick about me, you know. Banging on all the doors and things, so I think I'd better be going," Queenie said.

"But you haven't met your host," Rosier objected.

"Oh, are you married?" Queenie asked wistfully.

Rosier smiled. "Let's say...deeply committed."

"You see, I can't tell if you're making a joke or if you're just... French," Queenie innocently said.

Rosier laughed and left the room. Queenie was confused. An enchanted teapot hovering in midair nudged her, intent on refilling her cup.

"Hey, knock it off," Queenie scolded the teapot.

Grindelwald walked into the room. The teapot and cups smashed to the ground. Queenie whisked her wand out and aimed it at him.

"You stay right there. I know what you are."

He walked slowly toward her. "Queenie, we are not here to hurt you. We only want to help you. You're so very, very far from home. Far away from everything you love. Everything that was comfortable."

Queenie stared at him, keeping her wand raised.

"I would never see you harmed, ever. It is not your fault that your sister is an Auror. I wish you were working with me now towards a world where we wizards are free to live openly, and to love freely."

Grindelwald's hand touched her the tip of her wand and lowered it. "What do you know of Neeki?"

Queenie gulped. "She's a wonderful person. She doesn't deserve whatever spell you've put her under."

"She will find out in due time. You are an innocent. So go now. Leave this place."