thirty-seven

"Hello, Kayla

"Hello, Kayla. You will grow up to be strong."

"Master Grindelwald, is she to your liking?"

Grindelwald turned around to face Kayla's father. She was wrapped in purple blankets, held by Grindelwald as her parents watched from the doorway. Margaret and Lancelot sighed happily as they stared at the bundle of joy in their master's arms. Grindelwald seemed pleased with the couple's concoction. He gently stroked Kayla's cheek.

"It's wonderful what two people are able to create."

"Kayla, darling, what have I told you about making messes?" Margaret asked, hands on her hips.

Kayla pouted. "Sorry, Mom."

Lancelot chuckled and patted his daughter's head. "She's only four, Marge. Let loose a little. She'll need this freedom before going under Master's wing."

Margaret nodded and sighed. "You are right. But still. Have better manners when you are in the presence of our master, all right?"

Kayla eagerly nodded. "Is Uncle Grindelwald coming for dinner tonight?"

"He's busy tonight, love," Lancelot said.

"Busy defeating the bad guys?" she questioned.

Her parents nodded with smiles on their faces.

"One day, I want to be just like him!" she exclaimed happily.

Her parents were elated to hear that.

"He would love that," Margaret said. "Now, let's eat dinner so you can grow up and be as strong as him."

Kayla eagerly nodded and took Lancelot's hand as he led her to the dining table.

Kayla giggled as Grindelwald spun her around. He set her down gently and she crossed her eyes and stuck out her tongue.

"Are all 6-year-olds as silly as you?" he questioned.

Kayla hugged his leg and smothered her face into his pants. She looked up at him.

"Will you teach me magic, Uncle?"

He smiled. "I will when you are ready."

She frowned. "I'm not ready yet?"

"Not yet. Soon."