00: introduction

monday, the third of april, 2012
kitagawa daichi

"Nice one, (name) - late on your first day. They're all going to think you're improper now. Great job. (name) (last name) has let us all down again!"

"Excuse me?"

Oh. So you were talking out loud.

"Ah! Sorry... I have a habit of doing that-"

He turns to his friend. "I don't think she speaks Japanese," he whispered, looking directly at you. It was rather obvious that he didn't speak English either.

"Su...mi...masen?" You stuttered out, giving your best attempt at Japanese. No, you weren't given enough time to learn the basics of Japanese before you left for Japan. Yes, you were indeed foreign.

Incase you were wondering - you had transferred to Japan on a scholarship. Not just any scholarship, oh no; a scholarship to one of, or, if not, the most, prestigious high schools in Japan.

Shiratorizawa.

You were given a year to become fluent in Japanese by the school before you came. Somehow, they'd heard of you (despite the fact that you lived and went to school in an entirely different country) and wanted you to come to their school. You were given a scholarship in academics.

Because you were given a year to learn Japanese fluently, you decided to learn Japanese from Japanese people. Which meant going to Japan. So, you enrolled in Kitagawa Daichi, one of the best Middle Schools in Miyagi.

(I apologise if I'm not making any sense...)

     "She's foreign," the student said, "she doesn't know Japanese."

     "What?!" the boy he was talking to said, "that's crazy! Who doesn't know Japanese?"

     "People who aren't from Japan, duh."

     ——

     As you walked around the school in search of the reception, you came across a gym. A large gym. With a big ceiling. And inside, there were around five boys serving volleyballs over a volleyball net.

     You had played volleyball for two years now, but had never managed to get onto a team as you were unable to find one. Well, you could find ones, but you were just too socially inept to join. So, when you came across this gym, you were rather overjoyed.

"Hello?" You called, grabbing their attention. All five turned to look at you. Waving slightly, you spoke up once more. "Do you happen to know where the girls' volleyball club is?"

Ah, wait. That was English. What was that in Japanese again...?

"Yes, I do," one said, in English - he sounded like a native speaker - "It's in the other gym. I'll show you."

You followed the guy outside. He had really nice arms, you noted. And his hair stuck up... just a bit. He was only a bit taller than you. Perhaps, another second-year? What was his name-

"Iwaizumi," he said, not bothering to look directly at you, "Iwaizumi Hajime. I'm half Filipino."

Ah. So that's where the English came from. "I also know bits of Tagalog and Spanish, if you'd like to know that."

You looked up at him, watching as he looked around, seemingly avoiding looking at you. "Ah, I'm (first name) (last name), and I'm from (country). I speak English and I'm learning Japanese."

He nodded in approval. "Do you play volleyball?"

"Yes. I have played for two years, now. However, I've only ever played... by myself." He looks over to you. "I play ace, by the way. It's the easiest for me."