01: charged with murder

monday, the third of april, 2012
     kitagawa daichi

     After a long and awkward lesson of having to introduce yourself and embarrass yourself for years to come, you ventured out to the boys' volleyball gym (as Iwaizumi had never shown you the girls' - Oikawa appeared and delayed everything). Hoping that someone will show you the way there, you walked in, immediately making eye contact with Iwaizumi.

     "Ah, hello," he greeted, turning to face you.  His slightly tanned face crinkled. "What brings you here?"

     Clearing your throat, you replied, "I still have no idea where the-"

     "(Name)!" called a voice, echoing through the gym. Oikawa scampered up to you two. "Kageyama wants to practice his tosses. He insisted on having you spike them as he doesn't like Iwaizumi."

     You peered around Oikawa and saw a timid looking boy with a sharp look in his hazel eyes holding a volleyball close to his chest. His black hair was straight and looked incredibly soft. His hands were quite big, too. Kageyama looked nervously at you, and despite you making eye contact with him back, he didn't smile or wave. "Alright then," you replied, after translating  what Oikawa said in your mind.

     Calmly, you walked over to Kageyama. He was clearly a first year, judging by the way he gulped when you got closer and by how small he was compared to you. "Are you any good?" you said, looking down at him. You were almost tempted to bend down and speak like a parent would to a child. He nodded feverishly.

     Oikawa got ready at the other side of the net to practice his receives. Kageyama took a deep breath in and set the ball to you. Swiftly and quietly, you smacked the ball straight over the net,

     And right into Oikawa's face.

     Anyone who has actually been hit in the face with a volleyball will know that it hurts - like, a lot. But because you slapped the ball so hard, it hit poor Oikawa like a ton of bricks. You were so strong!

     Holding his face and fake sobbing, Oikawa screamed, "she ruined my beautiful face! I'm going to be ugly...!"

     You rolled your eyes, ignoring the fact that your heart pounded out of fear. His fangirls could come after you, and probably assassinate you. God knows what they'd do to save their precious Oikawa. And Oikawa himself scared you...! He'd always be ready to fight someone if they hit his face.

     "I'll charge you with murder, (name)! Murder! You've ruined the reign of a grand king!"

     "Grand King..." Kageyama muttered. You had a feeling that nickname would return some time in the future. 

     As Oikawa continued screaming about his face, Iwaizumi patted your shoulder and reassured you that he was going to be ok. "He does this all the time. Once, a first year called Kindaichi hit him in the face while he was practicing spiking. He didn't realise that he had, and continued to spike. Oikawa got hit everywhere you could imagine - luckily, Kindaichi was new and wasn't really that good at spiking." Although that story entailed Oikawa being abused by Kindaichi and a volleyball, you managed to laugh.

     Oikawa sat up. He gasped. "I know what your name should be!"

     The club turned to look at him. He was beaming, and looked like he was on the edge of having a laughing fit.

     "The Killer Queen! Ha!"

     "Like the Queen song?" Said Iwaizumi, snapping his fingers according to the song, "she keeps her Moet et Chandon in her pretty cabinet~"

     "LET THEM EAT CAKE, SHE SAYS-"

     "Shut up, Oikawa! Only I'm allowed to sing Queen! You are not worthy enough to sing as Freddie Mercury!" Iwaizumi yelled, hitting Oikawa on the head. Oikawa whined.

     "Just like Marie Antoinette..." whispered Kageyama. To be honest, you had forgotten that he was here.

     Sighing, you decided to make a comment. "The Killer Queen, then, is it?" you asked, looking at Oikawa. He seemed to find it hilarious.

     "Well, yes," he replied, standing, "I do think it's appropriate. I almost died. And I've been hit in the face with the girls team's ace's spikes, and it didn't hurt me one bit. Therefore you're the queen."

     You nodded. You spent five hours on Duolingo on the plane learning Japanese just to find out that the kid had named you after a Queen song. (you should be honoured you th o t)

——

At around 5:30pm, after you'd joined the girl's volleyball team (after finally finding it without help, might I add), you walked back to where you were staying with Oikawa - his mother had offered for you to stay while his sister was away. She said that the school had recommended for her to have you. On the other hand, the club seemed nice enough, but weren't as friendly and unique as the boy's volleyball club.

The captain, Rio Ito, was quiet, but looked like she could be loud if she wanted to. She wasn't that strong of a leader and clearly didn't have any leadership skills - just by assuming, you could tell that the girls had picked a captain out of who was their favourite, and not from who was the best player.

The vice captain, Aoi Watanabe, was loud and far too crazy. She was all over the place and very clumsy. Aoi didn't care much for the volleyball club and had only joined because she had a crush on the coach two years ago.

The current ace, Rin Suzuki, was rather strong-looking, but from when you watched her spike, she was weak. She tapped the ball with the tip of her finger and did a whiff (when the hitter hits the ball with their ring finger or middle finger) - they weren't that successful.

You could easily become the captain and assert your dominance (ha) over these people! Not that that was your plan... you came here for education. And your scholarship. Right.

But not that these people mattered, because they don't play a huge role in this story.

Oikawa kept trying to hold your hand while he was walking. The walk home was relatively silent - oddly silent, compared to how loud and extravagant Oikawa was earlier - and occasionally Oikawa would ask about how you found the class work and how school worked for you, as you couldn't speak much Japanese. You responded normally in the best Japanese you could muster at 7:00pm. He seemed genuinely interested, and your assumption that Oikawa was just a ladies' man died down. The poor guy was plagued by his beauty (but probably enjoyed it) and couldn't seem to push those girls away - he was too polite. Things seemed to make a bit more sense.

     You weren't really listening to Oikawa rant about some 'country bumpkin', whose name you never caught. Everyone he talked about seemed to have some weird nickname. This 'country bumpkin' was also called, in this order:

     • rat
     • cow (not referring to how he looked, but his name)
     • bitchijima
     • greased lightning (apparently his hair was greasy)

     and finally:
     ...shiRATorizawa? with an emphasis on the rat?

     You couldn't help but be offended at that. After all, you were going to Shiratorizawa after you graduated from Kitagawa Daiichi. Perhaps you should reconsider? No, no - a scholarship is a scholarship. However... how would Oikawa react when you told him that you were going to the one school he despised the most...?!