51: tendou's ending

'Killer Queen...'

A flash of red hair flew past your vision and a hand grabbed you from behind. The hand spun you around by force and you found yourself face to face, or, rather, eye to eye with Tendou. He smiled giddily and put his hands on his hips. "Cool drift, right? I'm taking inspiration from Fast and Furious."

His eyes sparkled and he huffed, looking around the arena. "Well, you did it, (name), you pummelled those girls to the ground," he said rather proudly, "I commemorate you, young one."

"Tendou, I'm only younger than you by a bit," you reasoned. It seemed as though he was trying to do an impression of All Might because he suddenly made the face and laughed in a deep voice. "Tendou, please stop."

     He laughed again. "I will never stop! Why? Because I am here!" His facial expression suddenly faded and he broke out into a fit of laughter.

     Although Tendou normally was a very cheerful and sarcastic person, his laughing today felt somewhat off. Almost as though he was trying to impress you with his corny jokes and funny laugh, rather than making jokes and laughing because he actually wanted to.

You thought back to the hotel room, when Alisa was reading all of the messages she'd been sent which were about you. Semi's one had piqued your interest; could you tell (name) that Tendou's been having a mental breakdown over her?

     Now that you thought about it, his eyes didn't seem as bright as they were before, and there were sort-of puffy...

"You know, we won our match too," he said awkwardly. You realised that you'd been silent for a moment too long, and now you'd quite possibly ruined the jokey atmosphere. "It was quite an easy win. Your country's male team was... something special."

You cleared your throat. "I suppose volleyball isn't that big of a sport back home. The boys probably thought it was some sort of girly sport."

Tendou laughed and nodded, thankfully forgetting the awkward atmosphere. And then, he looked around the room with a strange look in his eye. His brow furrowed and he looked to be rather troubled, or as though he was worrying about something or someone.

"I would say let's go somewhere else, but then they'd think I was a weirdo," he said in a quieter voice. Tendou grinned, but his smile didn't quite reach his eyes.

Of course, you knew that going off with Tendou wouldn't be weird at all, and thus you began to feel sceptical. Why was he suggesting that going off with you was weird? What sort of thoughts were going on in his head? Why did he think that way?

"You seem a bit surprised that I said that," he pointed out. "I'm sorry. I've weirded you out, haven't I?"

"Tendou, why are you saying all of this now? When have you ever weirded me out? You're normally so funny and jokey, and now you're just making me worried."

He nervously shook. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It's my fault, I'm sorry."

With a sigh, you took his arm and dragged him out of the gymnasium to some corridor a while away from where the team was. The bus wasn't leaving for a while, so you wouldn't be needed for quite some time yet, meaning that you'd have time to talk to Tendou about whatever was bothering him so much.

Because whatever it was probably had something to do with Semi's text.

"Spill the beans, Tendou," you began, your hands not leaving his arms, "why do you think like that?"

Tendou looked away and was reluctant to answer, before he breathed in shakily. "Would-" he muttered, "would you believe me if I said that you were the only person in that room who hasn't avoided me at one point or another in my life?"