02: three whole oikawas

monday, the third of april, 2012
     oikawa's house

You were snapped out of your thoughts when Oikawa opened his front door. His house was huge - finely painted white exterior walls, modern-looking windows and a balcony. We're home!" He yelled, in Japanese, "(name)-chan is with me!"

     Silence.

     Well, maybe not silence. You could hear a distant mutter coming from the living room. Oikawa led the way and opened the door, finding his mother crouched down and patting the Roomba on its head. "It's ok, you're doing your best," she told it, as if she was talking to a baby. The Roomba did nothing.

     "Er, mama?" Oikawa asked, clearly confused as to what was going on, "why are you talking to the Roomba like that? Now (name)-chan thinks that you're a weirdo."

     She yelped in surprise and stood up abruptly. She bowed 90 degrees and exclaimed in a loud voice, "I'm not a weirdo, (name)-san! I was being encouraging! You see, my Roomba sucked up a piece of cardboard and now it's a bit stressed out, and I thought that if I-"

     "It's alright, mama," he replied calmly. It was nice to see that he respected his mother (#oikawarespeccswamen). "How about you introduce yourself, while I go tidy my room?"

     She sighed in relief. "Thank you, Tooru. I don't know what I'd do without you," she paused for a brief second, "hang on, did you say that you needed to tidy your room?"

     Oikawa had already left. She exhaled deeply. "He's really kind, but just... lazy. And you wouldn't expect that from a volleyball player, would you?" His mother chuckled as she walked over to the sofa. "Come. Sit."

     Shuffling over awkwardly, you sat yourself on their black, comfortable sofa. Holding out your hand, you said, "I'm (name) (last name), nice to meet you."

     She laughed. "No need to be so formal, (name)-san! I didn't know that foreigners could be so polite!" before giving you a chance to think about what she said, she continued, "I'm Misaki Oikawa, Tooru's mother. He calls me Mama, though. It's what his sister called me, too. You can call me that as well."

     "Oikawa-san- er, I mean, Mama," you said, in a quieter voice, "doesn't Oikawa like Shiratorizawa?"

     She responded in the same tone. "No, not one bit. Every year in the inter-high qualifiers, Shiratorizawa Middle School has beaten Kitagawa Daiichi, and it's always because of this one boy that's on their team, who goes by the name of Ushiwaka."

     "Ushiwaka..." you whispered, "is he perhaps the 'country bumpkin' that he was talking about?"

     "Country what? Ha!" she laughed, "I mean, he is from the country, but I've never heard the term 'country bumpkin' before!"

     You laughed along quietly, not finding why it was so funny. After she finished, she shooed you up to where Oikawa was. Padding up the stairs, you spotted Oikawa's room by seeing the many stickers with his name on it. They were all of aliens and volleyballs and... cats?

     You went in after you knocked. Noting the dart board with some dude's face on it with multiple darts shot into his eye, you saw Oikawa lounging on his bed on his phone. "Is that the country bumpkin?" you said, pointing. He snorted and nodded.

     He stayed silent, his coffee-coloured eyes never leaving whatever was on his phone. "Mind telling me where my room is, Oikawa? I don't know my way around your house."

     "Down the hallway, to the right," he murmured, you only just hearing him. Opening the creaky door, you left Oikawa's room and bolted down the hallway. You opened the first door on the right to find some sort of study - it was clearly Oikawa's as there were many posters of volleyball stars and pictures of the Aoba Johsai team. On the walls were also framed pictures of a baby Oikawa - you had to admit, they were very cute. He was a cute baby. Maybe a cute guy too? ... nah, not really. You couldn't see yourself with him. Besides, his fan girls would have you in if you went out with him.

     You left once you were done looking around, closing the door behind you. You went into the next room, wondering if Oikawa had told you the correct directions. The room you had just entered was painted pale blue and had a large bed on the back wall. There was also a large window with white curtains, and you could see right into the house opposite you. There was a boy in the window - he caught your gaze and waved shyly. You waved back.

     There was a desk on the right wall, with a chair the same colour as it. It was completely empty, aside from a few pens. A large bookcase was next to that with many mangas and classic novels, such as 'Little Women' and 'Watership Down' which were in English. Assuming that Oikawa's mother had bought those books for you, you moved on.

     The wardrobe was empty and not dusty at all. There were many shelves inside the wardrobe along with a rack (with hangers included) to hang your clothes on. You began to hang your dresses and school uniform and folding your many t-shirts and trousers. Oikawa burst in.

     "My Dad's home. And Mama says it's time for dinner," he stated, grabbing your hand. "You're so neat, (name)-chan! I just throw my clothes in there!" He smiled his million-dollar grin and dragged you out.

     "Dad!" He called, grabbing the attention of a slightly taller man sat on the sofa in the living room. "This is (name)-chan! She's from (country), and she came here to stay with us! Say hi!"

     The man turned around. He looked just like Oikawa, except with slimmer blue eyes. He grinned, the corners of his mouth and eyes crinkling. "Hello there," he said, in a very accented English. You waved back and responded in your Japanese.

     Oikawa laughed and guided you to the table where his mother was laying out many plates of very appetising food. "Come help me, you two," she called, waddling back into the kitchen. You both looked at each other before racing into the kitchen after her.

     "Mama, let me handle the vegetables," said Oikawa, making grabby hands towards the big plate of greens.

     "Ah! I'll take in the salad, if that's alright," you offered, right after Oikawa. She laughed.

     "I didn't expect you both to be so helpful! Tooru, this isn't like you at all!"

     "Mama...! You're making (name)-chan think that I'm lazy...!"

     "But Tooru, why lie?"

     "Mama!"