29: 5am common room events

saturday, the ninth of march, 2013
     shiratorizawa dormitories
     *grows beard & cheats on wife* OOHHH
     SHEEET 14K

     It was 5am on a Saturday, and you were extremely tired. The practice match with the boys was at 11am, and you didn't take that long to get ready, so why were you awake now? You really didn't know. But you couldn't get back to sleep, so going outside sounded like the best option.

The common room was completely empty, but the pillows thrown across the room and blankets scattered across the large couches suggested otherwise. It was dead silent, too. But the light was on, so that made you feel a tad bit safer. However the darkness was quite unnerving, and you couldn't help but feel as though someone was going to jump up on you.

As if you were hiding from someone, you threw the blanket around you and sat there for a while, surrounded by your own thoughts. Daydreaming, you found, was quite fun. Or maybe nightdreaming. Or maybe just thinking whatever one seems to think about at five o'clock in the morning.

Sighing, you snuggled further into the corner of the sofa you were sat on, your pyjamas slowly getting even more creased. Not that creased pyjamas even mattered, but - you know what? Never mind.

The room almost felt secure for a second, as if nobody was going to ruin-

"That was long."

You jumped out of your skin, and with a gasp, you sent yourself tumbling to the floor. "Ow," you mumbled, getting up. The sun had only just started to rise and someone had to come in and cause a huge fuss.

Oh.

It was Ushijima. Ushijima had walked in from his morning run. He was currently in his running attire, whereas you were standing awkwardly in your pyjamas clutching a blanket.

"Oh, hello, (name)-san," he said, turning just his head to your direction, "why are you up this early?"

"I could ask you the same thing!" You noticed his gaze dropping to your pyjama shorts, the tips of his ears going pink. "What are you doing up so early?"

He huffed. "I thought it was obvious. I was running."

"But why so early? Who on earth wants to run?"

"The air is freshest at this time of day."

At this point you realised that Ushijima's blinks were very quick and he didn't blink that often. Either that, or he just didn't blink at all. He didn't seem to blink when he looked right at you, and his eyes never left yours. Ushijima didn't make any movement either.

He suddenly broke the silence. "Why are you in your pyjamas?"

You looked down and realised that almost all of your legs were on display to him. Stuttering, you replied, "because I was too tired to change out of them. I couldn't get back to sleep."

Nodding in acknowledgment, he made his way over to the couch and sat down next to where you were previously. Ushijima patted the space behind you, to which you sat down promptly. He sat very straightly; by that, I mean that he sat at a 90 degree angle. No slouching or leaning back. His feet were flat on the floor, and he looked very stiff.

"We are having a practice match today, right?" You spoke, trying not to make eye contact with him. "To practice."

He glanced down at you. "Yes. To practice. What else would a practice match be for?"

You mentally facepalmed. "Of course."

Your mind immediately went back to the time you were discussing where Iwaizumi's cat could've gone when it had gotten itself lost, and you said, "where's it lost to?". It seemed as though you had a habit of pointing out the obvious, and asking questions which couldn't really be answered.