12: match three

thursday, the twenty-eighth of april
on the road to sendai city gymnasium

It was around 10:43 in the morning and you, along with the girls' and boy's volleyball teams of your school, were on the coach heading to the Sendai City Gymnasium for your third round of the Middle School Preliminaries. Everyone had had more or less a good night's sleep, so that meant that the more excitable members of your teams were even more hyper than usual.

You were sat according to your jersey number: you and Oikawa were sat at the front since you were both #1, Iwaizumi and Rio sat behind you as they were both #2 and so on. Right now, Aoi, in the fourth row with one of the other boys, was trying to explain to him why the guy who beatboxed the Tetris theme was actually a good beatboxer. He wasn't taking any of it, so she decided to torture him by trying to reenact it. And you could probably imagine someone trying to do that, couldn't you?

     You and Oikawa sat in a comfortable silence while gazing out of the window. Every so often, Oikawa would shift around in his seat and his leg would touch yours, seemingly intentionally. And every time you'd look over to him he'd only smile his signature smile and look out of the window again, trying to act innocent.

Oikawa still liked you and it was pretty obvious. But he did say that he'd love you unconditionally...

The bus ride was only about 20 minutes from where Kitagawa Daiichi was to Sendai City, the capital of your prefecture and where all of the preliminaries were held. It was a quiet ride, too, and the only sound was the quiet hum of Iwaizumi's music from his earphones or Aoi preaching about how Todoroki Shoto's body hair would also be half red and half white. She talked about many strange things and the poor boy who had to sit by her was forced to listen to them all. Every time he put his earphones back in she'd tear them back out and continue ranting.

     So yeah - your team and their team was a little bit too chaotic for the bus.

     "Oikawa," you said quietly, your eyes not leaving the scenery outside, "do you want to win this?"

     "I'm in it to win it, (name)," he replied in a tone just as quiet as yours. His eyes were on you. "And for the memories, of course..."

     You didn't respond to that because there wasn't anything else to say. Oikawa soon became frustrated with the silence and struck up another conversation.

     "What's your favourite part of Sendai, (name)?"

     You had to think for a minute. The only parts of Sendai that you'd seen were from looking outside the window. "The park by the gym looks cool. I haven't seen much of Sendai, though, as we've only been to the gym."

Oikawa nodded. "I see." He stopped talking for a minute and looked over to where his coach and your coach were sat. "I like the Aoba Castle - it's got a very traditional feel to it."

     "Have you been there before?"

     "Yes. With my parents and my sister. I played with this one girl in the park and we got along really well. I even asked her to marry me!" He laughed, "being an eight year old was simple. Life was a lot more easier back then."

     You nodded in agreement. "Did you know her name?"

     "Er..." he tilted his head to the side, "It must've been... uh... No... Nori? I think? She had the same last name as Iwa-chan."

     "Was it his sister then? If she had the same last name?"

     "No, I don't think so. I've been over Iwa-chan's house many times and I've never seen a sister. Only his brother."