06: middle school prelims

thursday, the sixth of april, 2012
kitagawa daichi

     It was around 8:00 in the morning when you were sat in registration reading the Watership Down that Oikawa's mother had bought you when Ino Saito approached you. It was odd because you'd think that a girl like her would avoid you, and she wasn't even in your form.

     She stood by your desk, her hands on her hips, looking down at you. "So, (name)," she began, for once calling you by your name instead of some horrible nickname, "I heard that you're the ace of the girls' volleyball team."

     "I am," you replied, not looking up from your book. You were around 150 pages in, and it was starting to get interesting. You decided to keep your responses short so that she'd get the idea. But, alas, she did not.

     "What'd you do to get there? Bribe them?"

     "No, they gave it to me."

     "That's nice." Ino was silent for a while. She pulled up a chair and sat opposite you at your desk. Something about her seemed... off.

     "It's only obvious that Oikawa would like a girl like you."

     You looked up, looking her right in the eye. She didn't look smug or annoyed, but instead she looked quite sad. "I've been admiring him for a while. Call me a fangirl, if you'd like - but I don't want to beg for his attention. I've always loved Oikawa."

     "Since when? How long have you known him?" You asked. Now you were actually interested - maybe Ino had a reason as to why she despised you so much.

     "It must be since elementary school. In fact, I think it was nursery. I never played with him nor did I speak to him. His presence made me nervous. I was a shy kid, and I didn't want to bother someone like him."

     "Right, and where is this going...?"

     "He never noticed me. I saw that he talked to every other girl in the class bar me. I couldn't help but feel upset, and even in my four-year-old mind, I knew that was rejection. So I've resigned to just admiring him from afar. I've never joined his masses of fans swarming him all day. I've stayed clear of him in hope that he'd notice that one girl is different from the rest. But it seems as though he's noticed someone else.

     "You're lucky to have been noticed by someone like him, and I can't help but feel annoyed at the fact that you rejected him. But I do see your reasons - you stay with him, do you not? And his fans get a bit aggressive. I've almost been assaulted by them a few times, now. It can't be helped though; someone as handsome as him would obviously be to die for."

     "That's true," you responded, looking up at the clock above the board. There were ten minutes before registration began. "How did you know that I rejected him?"

     "Oh, everyone knows. And it isn't taken as a rumour, if you get what I mean. Someone on the boy's volleyball team saw you and Oikawa. Apparently, he didn't try at all in practice, and left crying at the end."

     It was as if she was trying to make you feel guilty. She was clearly quite mean on the inside, but she did have her reasons. "Ah, sorry. I feel quite sorry now. I don't enjoy making people cry."

     She rolled her eyes but smiled. "You should be sorry. I'd never pass up the opportunity to go out with Oikawa."

     You laughed softly. Ino stood up to leave and waved at you as she opened the door. "Surprisingly, it was nice to talk to you," she admitted, genuinely smiling. "I'd like to talk some other time."

     "Indeed, Miss Saito. I'll see you again."

——

     After school, you waltzed over to the girls' gym - it was quite easy to find it now that you'd been to it quite a few times. Opening the doors, you saw Rio stood in front of the other five members of the team giving announcements. She noticed you as you walked in.