39: what happened after the third round

monday, the twenty-fourth of march,
     2013
     on the bus trip to sendai city gymnasium

     "Well, I believe that Hamilton is an outstanding musical, and Lin Manuel-"

     "It is not! They don't stop singing! There's no talking!"

     "It's a musical, Semi, a musical! Of course they won't be talking their heads off!"

     "No, no, no! I went to see a musical the other day and there was plenty of talking!"

     "That's not a true musical!"

     "Shut up! There was singing, therefore it is a musical! I bet the only musical you've heard of is Hamilton and that's why you're convinced that normal musicals don't talk!"

     "I'll have you know that I've seen La La Land and there was talking in that-"

     "-you're a walking contradiction! La La Land is apparently a musical even though it has talking?! You just said that musicals like that weren't true musicals!"

     "What do you know about musicals, Semi?!"

     "Tendou, you're an art student!"

     ...and the bus ride went on like that. At that moment, about five minutes after you'd left the school grounds, Tendou started blabbering on about how amazing Hamilton: The Musical was, whereas Semi wanted to disagree. Apparently, musicals that had talking in weren't real musicals. Of course, you wanted to say something, but Tendou and Semi both practically had steam pouring out of their ears. They were both as caught up in the argument as the other.

     Ushijima, sat beside you, was glaring out the window at nothing in particular. Numerous times had you waved at him or nudged him to try and get a conversation started, only to have him completely either ignore you or not notice you at all and stay completely stationary.

     He was like a rock. Not metaphorically, but literally.

     But he was also one of the most handsomest people you'd ever met. The morning rays of sun were gently glaring down onto his face, revealing all of the sharp features he had. His green-brown eyes were brighter than ever, and his jawline and cheekbones were basically protruding from his face. This man was quite possibly sculpted like a Greek god.

     Tendou, two rows behind you to the right, was still standing up, not arguing with Semi any longer. He was still red from getting angry, however his almost non-existent eyebrows were raised in contentment, and there was a pleased smile on his face.

     For some reason, he looked off.

     "Tendou," you started, having to yell slightly as he had earphones in his ears, "are you ok?"

     Tendou sniffed and nodded, and with a wavering voice, he replied, "yeah."

     You raised an eyebrow. "You're not ok."

     The redhead shook his head. A few tears formed in the corner of his eyes, and he started sniffing like mad. "Phillip is dying."

A valid reason to cry. I cry every time.

     Turning back around, you noticed that Ushijima was no longer looking out of the window, but rather at you. And, despite the fact that you were now looking right back at him, his stare never wavered. He seemed to be in deep concentration - thinking hard about something. Or someone.

You thought back to what he'd said last Friday. 'I don't care for ladies. I care for one lady.' Who was that one lady? Perhaps your suspicions were correct, and you were the one lady. It was scary to think about, but it also seemed... nice, to have the great, emotionless Ushijima madly in love with you.