14: the monstrosity that we call school

friday, the twenty-ninth of april 2010
class 1-a in kitagawa daiichi

You didn't think that Aoi knew so many people.

In spite of what she heard at the third match in Sendai, she told literally everyone about you going to Shiratorizawa. Everyone believed her because of her outstanding charisma and how popular she actually was.

To be honest, you didn't think that Aoi was as popular as she was either.

Even the tennis club knew about you. Tennis! The tennis club was never aware of what was happening outside of their club. They always kept to themselves and stayed out of any drama.

So you only had your small group of friends who didn't dislike you; Rio, Iwaizumi and Oikawa. And yes, the rest of the school had something against you. It was weird. The entirety of Kitagawa Daiichi glared at you in the hallways and wrote 'Shiratorizawa' (with the 'rat' in bold) on your desk, only because of a place you were going to in one year.

     It was Friday, the last day of the week. It was  also only one lesson until lunch, which you were quite excited about considering that there wasn't any practice and you could sit outside with your friends. The clock seemed to go in slow motion during biology, but it was moving - slowly but surely.

     The teacher, Mr Kujo, had turned around for a while to type something out on his computer (he was a dreadfully slow typer, might I add) when the boy behind you started throwing pieces of his ripped up rubber at you.

     After around three or four times when you decided that you couldn't just ignore it, you turned around and gave him the hardest glare that you could. He and his friend snickered.

     "The Killer Queen is trying to live up to her name," the main boy said, hiding his face behind his hand. The other boy threw his head back in silent laughter. "She's not so killer now that the secret's out."

     "Shut up," you hissed at them, your eyebrows furrowing. "It's just a goddamn school, I don't see your issue."

The second boy laughed. "It's Shiratorizawa."

     "Yeah, no one likes Shiratorizawa other than Shiratorizawa."

     You huffed. "I like Shiratorizawa."

     "...and the people who are going to go there."

     Their teasing ended as Mr Kujo returned to the front of the class and began to drone on about the pod of dolphins he saw while crossing the Indian Ocean with his grandfather. Ino Saito, who was sat in front of you in biology, turned around and smiled comfortingly. "Sorry," she mouthed.

     Obviously, Ino Saito couldn't hang around with you because she valued her reputation too much. She preferred to keep her friendship with you low-key. Ino Saito was, indeed, one of the popular girls - she knew about your Shiratorizawa situation, and went against the popular girl stereotype by not telling anyone. Besides, everyone knew already.

Finally, the bell rang, signalling the end of fourth period and the beginning of lunch. You walked out of class with Oikawa and Iwaizumi to meet Rio on the roof. As you walked up the stairs, you were confronted by a few girls. They looked mean (and it takes a lot to look mean).

"Oi," the one on the right said, "you're the Shiratorizawa girl, aren't you?"

You could easily have said no.

"I am," you replied. Immediately, you regretted saying that you were because you'd just get teased even more. "And what about it?"

Sugar, now you're really pushing it.