44: two people and a rumour

friday, the fifth of july, 2013
daishou suguru's room, presumably
     thank you for 44k!!

     Daishou Suguru was blind in the sense that he could not see the true colours behind someone's eyes. All he saw was the pretty face and the makeup. Unless, of course, he was on the court, and in that case, he'd have anyone figured out in a matter of minutes.

     Daishou Suguru was blind as he could not see the true colours of his girlfriend, who was currently stood in front of a mirror with him awkwardly stood behind.

     Honestly, he thought he'd always be a ladies' man, but with this girl, he was a mess.

     She always had to have control and didn't like it when he did anything that she didn't like. She was possessive, and only cared about what was going on in her life. She talked and talked about how much she hated someone but didn't give two hoots when he tried to talk about someone else. Her pretty face hid her not-so-pretty personality.

     He'd fallen in love, and very quickly fallen out of it. Now, he was trapped. And probably for a very long time.

     Mary Kajiwara was not in love, and hadn't been when she asked Daishou out. In her mind, love was a game, and Daishou was one of her many pawns. Daishou was intelligent - yet, oddly enough, not intelligent enough to see through her strategy - and was useful for Mary as he could analyse any of her opponents. In fact, she didn't treat him like a boyfriend at all, and more like an employee or someone hired by a professional.

And so, when Mary asked Daishou to analyse the Killer Queen, Daishou, being the fool he was, agreed, and immediately began watching her matches over and over again just to please his girlfriend.

He soon came across an article by some sort of school newspaper titled 'Talent is Terrifying'.

The Killer Queen, Daishou had read, is too talented for any volleyball team anywhere. In fact, she's too talented. He continued to read, bored, but somewhat interested. There's no way she hasn't played on a team before Kitagawa Daiichi. Either she's lying, or she's a cheat.

Daishou read over the word 'cheat', and read it over and over again. She was hard to read, this 'Killer Queen', but he could take things from this article to use against her. He could use these things to knock her confidence and make her feel as though she wouldn't be able to win.

After all, he enjoyed making people feel like that, despite the fact that Mary is the one doing it to him this time.

But how could she cheat? She's fifteen, and there's no way she's used some sort of illegal substance to help her. So who could possibly be responsible for her terrifying talent?

He leaned in, suddenly more intrigued. Daishou could hear the little voices yelling in his head: 'Who?! Who's responsible?!'

The article didn't have much left on it, but the answer was in the second to last paragraph. He gasped, knowing this name well.

Why, it was me, Ino Saito!!

     The final paragraph went on to explain how Ino Saito was responsible, and Daishou felt like he was on some sort of Buzzfeed Unsolved episode, except they actually unsolve the case.

     I was there every step of the way - in fact, I went to Kitagawa Daiichi with her. I sat in front of her in our lessons. Killer Queen wouldn't have gained her reputation without me. And, I'll tell you a secret - The Killer Queen is a filthy, rotten bitch. You know why?