24: to be up with the crows

wednesday, the sixth of march, 2013
shiratorizawa gymnasium
we're at 8k already what's wrong with you

     Looking at the school in front of you, you immediately thought: we're better.

     Karasuno is a really cool name, and you expected Karasuno to be a really big school. But, in comparison to Shiratorizawa, it was tiny. Where were the stables for their horses? And where were their dormitories?

     "Karasuno isn't a boarding school," said Megumi from beside you, "and it isn't a private school either."

     You continued to look around, taking note of the students glaring out of the windows at you. "It's not very big," you told her, watching as their volleyball team clambered into the gym.

     "Well, no," Megumi replied, "I'm pretty sure our school is the biggest in the area."

     Your coaches had assigned both of your teams to have a practice match against Karasuno. Of course, you went in another mini-bus again, and you could choose who to sit next to. You decided that Megumi would be a suitable partner, as Tendou couldn't seem to keep his mouth shut and Reon sat by Ushijima. Poor Semi was elected by Tendou to be the 'lucky' person he sat by.

     You jumped out of your skin when a large hand patted you on the back. Turning around, you saw that a boy had most probably mistaken you for someone else. He had slightly tanned skin, and his brown hair stuck to his forehead as if he'd been exercising already. This boy's kind-looking brown eyes scanned your face as you looked at him confusedly.

     "(Name)," He said, "don't you remember me?"

     You gulped, finding him a tad bit weird. "Er, no... sorry?"

     He sighed, still smiling. "It's me, Daichi! Didn't you meet me in middle school once? With Oikawa and Iwaizumi? I came from Izumidate - I think it was the first round of the prelims?"

You racked your brain, trying to remember his face. And then, about ten seconds later, you remembered asking him if he was 'infiltrating the enemy'. "Oh, I remember you!" You exclaimed, suddenly grinning, "it was when we were just little middle school kids. I told you that your captain was cool."

     "Yes, that was you." He sighed. He seemed to sigh a lot, as though he was stressed about something. "I still have no clue why you suddenly said that to me out of the blue."

     "It wasn't even that confusing...?"

     He didn't seem to hear you. "Anyway," he carried on, "it's nice to see you again."

     "And you too. Even though I didn't quite recognise you at first... sorry about that."

     Daichi turned around to leave, waving one of his hands. "Good luck then, (name), as you'll need it."

     As he left, you turned back to Megumi who was smiling. "He seemed nice," she said, watching as he found his friends and ran into the gym with them.

"He is nice. Just a bit awkward, is all." You grinned, watching two girls from Karasuno cower under your school's presence. You truly felt... almighty?

     As your little parade of volleyball students marched towards the gym, more and more students began to whisper.

     "That's Shiratorizawa," one whispered, "the posh kids."

     "Oh my god, isn't that Ushijima Wakatoshi?" said another. "He's huge!"

     "That's Tendou Satori. I went to school with him," one boy said, "he's a right creep."