30: lads in the gym

saturday, the eighth of march, 2013
shiratorizawa gymnasium
     15k?????????

The gym was colder than usual. I mean, it wasn't exactly warm anyway. Especially not in March, it wasn't. But it was colder. Significantly colder. And everyone seemed to notice it, so it wasn't just you.

Megumi had brought her jacket (even though the jackets aren't meant to be worn on the court) and Alisa had walked in, ten minutes late, with her teeth chattering and her arms and legs shivering. Despite Alisa being Russian, she really wasn't immune to the cold.

     "Someone's turned down the AC," Megumi muttered, rubbing her arms through her jacket, "and I want to know who the hell they think they are."

     You nodded in agreement. "I'm going to whoop their ass."

     "(Name), don't say bad words."

     "Sorry, mother."

A few seconds later, you were both interrupted by Coach Washijo clearing his throat to gain everyone's attention. He was standing on a wooden box (as he was significantly shorter than most of you) with his arms folded. He didn't seem too happy, but then again - when was he happy?

"You're all here for a practice match and not a mother's meeting." His eyes weren't staring anyone down, and were actually glaring holes into the back of the gym. "I hope you all know that."

Everyone nodded, and he continued. "I don't care about what your background is. I don't care about what your reputation is at school. And I especially do not give two hoots about your personality. The only things I care about are height, power and speed. Teamwork too, I suppose, but I don't care about friendship."

"Hoes mad," Tendou muttered from across the room. "Hoes really mad."

Coach Washijo suddenly directed his attention to Tendou instead of the back of the gym. "Tendou, I do not want to be hearing about garden tools right now."

Tendou was quiet. A rare sight indeed.

"I want for us to win the preliminaries. I want for us to win the nationals. I want nothing more than to go to the internationals. And this starts with hard practice." He stepped off of the box, taking away about three inches from his height on the box. "You're going into two teams. Numbers one to six from the male and female teams on one side, and seven to thirteen on the other."

Quickly, you all got into your teams. There were six boys on your side and six boys on the other. It seemed as though you had both split into even teams, however the opposing side had five girls instead of six. The teams were more or less even, though.

"I want you to split yourselves in half. Preferably three girls and three boys on each team."

You did that. It was now you, Ushijima, Matsuda, Alisa, Reon and Tendou, and six other people on the other side.

Coach Washijo continues, "there's going to be four matches going on in this gym. Everyone's going to practice something. As you can see," he gestures to the four nets already set up, "there's four nets already set up." Wow. "So get going."

——

     About half an hour later, the matches were still going. The score for your match was 21-19 to the other team, and things were actually looking ok. Ushijima had intimidated the other team with his incredible talent and Tendou just plain old scared them with his peculiar expressions. And his guess blocking, of course. But mostly his face.