38: a familiar face

friday, the twenty-first of march, 2013
     sendai city gymnasium

     "She doesn't recognise me, does she?"

Was what the captain had said under her breath. You'd just caught it while you were walking away, and there was a possibility you'd heard her wrong as Alisa was talking extremely loudly as per usual.

     Turning around, you noticed that she was looking directly at you, and she went red once she'd realised you'd heard her.

     She squeaked. "I'm sorry! You weren't meant to hear that, aha..."

You raised your eyebrow. She looked so familiar, and yet you couldn't put a name to her face...

     Wait. Wasn't she...?

     "Er... sorry. I'll be going now."

No. She couldn't be. Her hair was longer.

"Are you going to keep staring at me, or...?"

It was her. Definitely.

"Goddammit, (name)-chan, stop!"

You stayed silent, but the girl in front of you was bright red. She was apparently quite embarrassed at the fact that she'd just revealed to everyone that she knew you. She sighed, flicking her now longer hair behind her. But not only was it longer; she'd dyed it maroon red, as though she was trying to make a statement.

     She still had the strong look that she had back in middle school, and the same wonky eyebrows. She wrung her hands as she looked at you nervously, despite the frown and red hue on her face.

     Shakily, she sighed. "Sorry. I sound like a creep now, right?"

     "No," you replied, walking closer to her and completely ignoring Alisa's yelling. "No, I know you too."

     She was silent. You smiled.

"Rin Suzuki. That is, unless I'm wrong."

Rin grinned, her eyebrows still knitted. She looked determined as she cracked her knuckles while flicking her hair back.

"That's right. It's been a while, Killer Queen. Quite frankly, I missed seeing you in practice showing off." Rin walked over with her hand held out.

Glad that she wasn't coming to kill you, you shook her hand, and smiled again. "I don't show off! And anyway, you were a great ace. In that game, too."

"Thanks. But, you know, I am quite bitter that I was eventually beaten by none other than you. I mean, I did expect to see you here."

Wait. Something wasn't quite right.

No...

"Rin, you yelled at me for going to Shiratorizawa, right?" Rin went pink. "Then why haven't you gone to Aoba Johsai?"

She quite visibly gulped, and rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. "I didn't get in. There weren't any entrance exams, but there were just too many people going there. I think it was because everyone wanted to see you be beaten by Aoba."

"Everyone hated me, didn't they?"

"You had Oikawa and Iwaizumi. And Rio, too." She looked out into the crowd, as though she was looking out for someone. "Rio's gone to Nekoma. She said she really liked the captain there. What was his name again? Shiro?"

"Kuroo. Damn, why are all the short girls with glasses attracted to him?"

Rin raised an eyebrow. Somehow, as she did that, her eyebrows looked more symmetrical. "What?"