Merlin's Home

Walking through the town has been one of my favourite things to do of a morning before any training or craziness can happen. Suddenly I bump into someone, a woman. She gives me a startled look.

"Are you okay?" I notice the mark on her face. "Are you hurt? I can take you to the court physician."

"Please take me to him. I'm looking for him and my son, Merlin."

I smile at her, "I know Merlin. This way." I lead her to their chambers and she rushes into his arms.

"Mother, what happened?" Merlin asks worryingly.

After she tells her story we manage to get her in front of the King. She tells him that a man named Kanen has been raiding their village and taking their live stock and grain.

"Your village resides in Cenred's kingdom. Why haven't you gone to him?"

"The King hardly cares for his outline villages." Hunith, Merlins mother tries.

"I'm sorry." King Uther states. "To send anyone would be declaring war."

"I understand. Thank you for your time." We leave and Merlin is not happy. He argues for a few minutes about nothing being done.

"Merlin for once the Kings right. If he sent Knights, he would be declaring war. That's not something any of us wants." Merlin nods but I know his not truly happy that I'm right. "What are you going to do?"

Merlin looks at me with a sad look, "I have to go." I nod. "I have to tell Arthur." He walks out and I turn to his mother and Gaius.

I look at her, "I'll help you. I'm alright with a sword and if I can help Merlin, it's worth it." She smiles at me.

*

I mount Savanna and we take off. Morgana and Gwen insisted on coming with us. I tried expressing my concerns for their safety but they ignored me.

We travel towards the village. It's going to take a few days to get there so we end up camping out in the woods. Merlin gathers fire wood whilst I begin building the fire.

Hunith sits by the fire with Morgana whilst I take a look around. The woods are never safe especially not at night and the sun is setting. "You really are a soldier?"

I smile at her, "I'm not an actual knight or anything, just okay with a sword."

"One of the best I've seen." Merlin comments. "Could take on Arthur."

"You're too kind Merlin. Arthur is a great knight, not many can best him." I continue to look around keeping my eyes peeled.

I've learnt something amazing about Merlin, he is a fantastic cook. Gwen offered to make it but he insisted. It was stew and tasted incredible. I told him so much, making him blush slightly.

"You should all get some rest. I'll stay on watch." I tell them and they begin preparing except for Merlin. I put a hand on his shoulder, "get some rest Merlin. You'll need it for when we get there." He nods and gets to his feet.

*

The woods are actually peaceful at night. The sounds of the creatures moving around and then I hear something. Standing up I draw my sword and head towards the sound. Raising it I keep my eyes peeled.

A figure jumps out of the shadows and I slam my sword into theirs, knocking it down before pulling my knife out and holding it to their neck. "Make a move and you'll be dead."

"I don't think you would." I recognise the voice and step back into the light of the moon. He joins me to reveal Arthur.

"I could have killed you."