Niave

The next morning everyone is up and preparing ourselves for a day of training. Arthur has sent a man to be a scout in case they come early. He will warn us when the time is soon.

The men are back at the training and we've tried convincing Arthur to change his mind but it does no good. He won't listen or give me the time to explain why.

Suddenly a horse comes rushing into the middle of the village with the man we sent to watch out dead with a note. "MATTHEW." A woman runs towards him with tears streaming down her face.

"This is your fault." William, the man who argued with us before, comes charging towards us now. "If you hadn't gotten in the way, he might be alive now."

"And you all might be dead." I comment having enough of his attitude. "You want to do nothing when people attack your village then fine but some people care about the people who live here and want to defend their home." I step towards him but Merlin gets between us.

"Kanen will take everything whether we fight or not. He will kill us all."

"Learn the lesson then, men can be monsters. You're either killed by them or you learn to fight them." With that I push past Merlin and head towards Hunith's house in need of time alone.

All of this; the village, the raiders, the fighting is bringing up memories. Ones in which I had suppressed for so long they barely registered anymore.

The door opens a few minutes after I had sat down by the wall and it's Merlin. I had expected Gwen or even Arthur. "Are you alright?"

"Yes I'm fine. I didn't mean to upset you but your friend doesn't know men like him. They can do far more damage than he thinks and giving in isn't an option." He takes a seat next to me.

"Will just doesn't want to see anyone hurt. He means well but doesn't always come across that way." He looks at me. "So you've met men like Kanen before?" I nod.

"I've met many men before Merlin and men like Kanen frighten me the most. They are ruthless and heartless monsters with the power of their sword and a few of their friends, they can destroy people, homes, families and everything you care about. I've seen first hand the fear and I've lived it. The only way to stop them is to fight and not show how scared you are." He gives me a worried look again. "I'm sorry if I upset you."

"I didn't know you'd been through so much." He comments.

"The things you go through, they define you. My past made me want to do better, be better prepared for the dangers of the world and now I face them with a sword and plan." I put a hand on his shoulder. "We can win this because we have faith in ourselves and our abilities."

He nods before grinning, "Arthur was worried about you."

"Don't start Merlin. We may be fighting side by side but that doesn't make us equals. We are who we are." I remind him.

*

The fire burns hot as the village gathers around it for a last talk before everyone rests for the battle tomorrow. Arthur raised gaining the attention of all as he usually does before beginning his speech. You can tell his experience of this as his words have a good effect on the people.

After his done Morgana rises, "we think the woman should fight as well."

I join her as Arthur argues, "it's too dangerous."

"The woman have as much right as any man here to fight for their home. This is their land, their food, their lives and they deserve the chance to fight for it. Men like Kanen don't understand the power of woman, he won't expect it and we need the numbers." Arthur sighs before nodding.