Witchfinder's Revenge (2)

Things have gotten worse. Much worse as Giaus is frog marched into the throne room. He looks terrible. Weak, hurt and it turns my stomach. Anger courses through my veins but I push it down.

"I have a confession to make." Giaus announces. "I am the sorcerer that's been making everything happen in Camelot recently. The frogs, the images in the smoke, it's all me."

Tears streak down my face at the broken mans confession. "There you see, he confesses."

Uther looks at him, shocked, and clears his throat, "you will be sentenced to death for your crimes. Tomorrow morning you will...burn for your sorcery."

Merlin slips passed me, "you're a liar. You're making him say these things." I jump between him and the Witchfinder, holding him back from attacking him. Arthur jumps in to help, pulling him out of the room.

Eyes are on me as they leave, "he's family. No matter what crimes you believe, those you care about don't change." My eyes flash to the Kings before rushing out after the boys.

I find them in the cells talking with Giaus. I hug the man tightly and he weakly returns it. As I pull back he takes my hand in his, "Don't do anything. Don't try to stop him or get involved."

"We can't just let them kill you." Merlin shouts.

"His right. We can't let him.."

Giaus cuts me off, "I'm willing to take the sacrifice to protect all of you." He kisses my head and hugs Merlin before we leave.

*

I sit in Giaus' chambers as Merlin explains that he was set up by the Witchfinder and Giaus' confession was to protect him and Morgana. Gwen rushes in, "he's taken Morgana for questioning."

Merlin jumps to his feet, "he's not going to stop. He's going after all of us."

"We have to stop him." Gwen states.

"We've been trying but there isn't anything we can do." I explain.

Merlin says, "there might be one thing." Then he rushes off.

Gwen gives me a worried look. "Maybe talk to Arthur. See if he's okay."

"Yeah." I leave and make my way to Arthur's chambers. He opens on the first knock and I walk in. "Thank you for letting us see him."

He smiles but it's shadowed in sadness. "I know he's like a father to you, both of you." I nod.

"I just wish I could do something. I hate being helpless."

"He confessed. There's nothing you can do." I give him a look. "What?"

"You think he's a sorcerer? Giaus? Of course he isn't. He probably threatened something or beat him senseless. He clearly wasn't eating or drinking. Perhaps it was a forced confession."

"Amy." He interrupts my rant. "The evidence is stacked against him. My father has made his decision. There isn't anything we can do now."

"How can we let him die? It's all a lie, a trick of some sort. What's the point in everything if it counts for nothing in the end?" He remains silent. "I need to find Merlin." Quickly I make my leave and dash for Giaus' chambers.

Merlin and Gwen are talking. They both turn to me with grins, "we think we've found something."

"Let's go."

Together the three of us make our way to a chemist who Gwen knows. Luckily he lets us through the door and stares at my sword with a slightly frightened look. "The Witchfinder, you know of him?" He nods,