To Save a Life

Fear has never taken hold like when someone you care about's life is in the balance. "What do we know?" I ask Giaus.

He looks over Arthur before looking at me with a sad look. "The Questing Beast's bite is fatal." He explains.

"No it can't be. There has to be a way." I turn to Merlin. "Any way to save him."

He nods and takes off. I follow after him knowing who he must be going to see. Never been before I just race after him and follow him down the stairs.

Finally we make it to a large cave. "I need your help." Merlin yells and the entire cave rumbles.

Suddenly a figure appears, a large figure, a dragon lands on the rock in front of us. My jaw drops and I stare at it. A real dragon, right in front of me.

"Ah young warlock. I see you brought a friend." The dragons eyes turn to me. I stare at it, trying to find the words. How do I talk to an actual dragon? He laughs. 

It shakes me out of my shock, "Its just....It's an honour to meet you." 

"And to meet you." He smiles if that is possible. "You're here about the Questing Beasts bite." He looks at Merlin. "Arthur must live. Go the Isle of the Blessed, there you will find a way to save Arthur." 

We go to move but he speaks once again, "Remember Merlin, there is no Albion without Arthur. You must have save him, no matter the consequences." 

Merlin nods and we dash back up towards Arthur's chambers. Merlin dives off to collect some things for the trip and inform Giaus of our decision to travel to the Isle of the Blessed. As I enter Arthur's chambers I find King Uther sitting on his bed watching his son. I go to leave when he stands up and turns to me. 

"I'm sorry sire. I didn't know anyone was in here." I look at Arthur whose colour is greyer than before. He's getting worse. "I'll leave." 

"No." I move towards Arthur. "How is he doing?" 

"He's getting worse." He gives me a fearful look. "Giaus is trying everything." 

"And he will try everything until something works. Arthur's not destined to die today. He will get better and when the time is right, he will become one of the greatest King's ever to live." I didn't realise how loud I had gotten until I saw the wide eyes of the King. "I'm sorry." I apologise quickly. 

"You truly believe those things?" He questions. 

I look at Arthur, "And I'm not the only one sire. We all believe and some say that faith and hope can change the world." With that I turn and walk away vowing that Arthur will recover from this, no matter what the cost. 

Collecting my things I join Merlin outside with our horses prepared. Climbing on I turn to Merlin and nod. He nods back and we both take off. 

*

Finally, after travelling non stop we arrive at the boat that can take us to the Isle of the Blessed. The old man takes us across and we share a look of concern at the old castle on the island. My stomach feels sick with worry about Arthur but my determination to save him trumps the fear. 

After being dropped off we make our way through the castle until we find someone. "Nimueh." Merlin announces. 

"You've met before?" I ask and draw my sword. 

"Yes we have." She answers. "Your sword is not necessary. I know why you are here." She turns to us as we move forwards. Nimueh looks at Merlin, "Had I known how important you were Merlin, I wouldn't have tried to kill you."