The Past Returns

My morning started off simple. Get up, cleaned and dressed then go get some breakfast and finally, sit and eat. Taking a big bite out of the bread, is the right time for when the King arrives. Quickly I chew and painfully I swallow.

He walks into the room and I stand, quickly bowing my head. "My King."

"I'm sorry for interrupting your breakfast. I had meant to speak with you last night but it seems you had retired." He looks out of place like he isn't too sure where to stand with me. I'm not a lady so it's not like he has to treat me as such.

"Yes. I had a headache and was tired from the strain of yesterday. I'm sorry, if I had known you wished to speak to me I would have waited."

He nods, "I only wanted to thank you for your loyalty to Arthur and me and to Camelot."

I smile at the King, "Prince Arthur will make a grand King one day from your training." When in doubt, give praise.

He smiles, "that he will and it's nice to know he has those close to him to protect him against magic. You and his servant are very loyal and guiding for him."

"Magic can warp minds sire, in the wrong hands. Morgause wanted Camelot to fall and that's why she used someone so close to your hearts. It's disgraceful and the cruelest magic I've ever seen."

He nods, "yes. I hear your training is going well. Even heard some of the rumours of you fighting some of the Knights."

I chuckle lightly, "all in training of course sire. If there is anything we can take from this ordeal it's that we can't let our guard down at all. It can be difficult to fight against someone or something that's not the norm."

"I'm glad you share my thoughts. I will allow you properly train with the knights. They need to be challenged in ways they are not use to. Arthur can tell you the details of the training."

"It's an honour sire." I bow my head. "Thank you."

"Very good." Then he makes his way out and I let out a breath, sitting back down. Then the King pops back into the room and I jump to my feet, "and Morgana's handmaiden will be able to help you." Then he leaves and I slip back down.

The door opens once again and I jump to my feet, "was that my father leaving?" Arthur gives me a raise of eyebrows.

"Yes. He was thanking me for yesterday." He smiles as he closes the door. Pulling me forwards he press his lips onto mine. "What was that for?"

"My thanks." He smiles at me, making my heart melt at the sight of his handsome face.

"I don't think once is enough." He grins as he brings me in for another kiss.

*

The next few days I start training with the knights and loose a match, against one of the older Knights but manage a win on one of the newer ones. It keeps me busy and my mind off the past.

After a morning of hard training, I clean myself up and head into town for some lunch. Gwen offered to come with me after being given the day off by Morgana. Plus she wants to order some more cloth for some dresses.

We make our way through the town and stop at a few stalls. I'm just grabbing some lunch when someone knocks into me. A rather heavily pregnant figure falls and luckily I catch her. "Easy. It's rather uneven round here."

"Amy?" She pulls back her hood to reveal a thin face with emerald green eyes and a giant black mark around her eye. The other cheek has a cut on it.

"Eliza." My hand goes to the cut on her face but I don't touch it. Eyes flickering to her stomach, I look back up at her as worry seeps into me. "What happened?" Tears fall from her eyes as I pull her into a hug. Sobs echo from my chest as she shakes in my arms. "You're safe. You're safe with me." Pulling her back, I wrap my arm around her shoulders, "let's get you checked out. I have a friend who can help."