Chapter 20

Chapter Twenty

(Natalie's Pov)

Lachlan looks at me with sorrow. "It hurts me to see you go." Something about this moment terrifies me. Nobody else is here to say goodbye. Everyone that ever cared about me now hates me because of Lachlan's doing. "Well, It hurts me to see you stay."

I went to go get in my car when he stopped me. "Can I talk to you for a moment?" I agreed and we sat down on the grass.

His next words surprised me. My heart seemed to shatter into a million pieces. It seemed like lies. It seemed like the Lachlan I once knew. I thought I had changed him but, I quickly realize that is not the case. We didn't change each other. We revealed ourselves. The way he talked to me was the way he talked to everyone else.

"I don't really know how to tell you," He said in a nervous tone. "I'm so sorry but, I have to break up with you."

I looked away so, he couldn't see the tears in my eyes. "Why?"

"I've been cheating on you."

A instant pain surges through me. I felt like I had just been stabbed in the chest and he was watching me bleed out on this very grass in front of my home.

"Cheating on me?" I say but, it comes out a question, my voice obviously signifying I am now crying. "With who?" He seems hesitant to tell me but, I already have someone in mind. "It's Lacey isn't it? Lachlan you promised me. You promised!"

"Yes it's Lacey. I just... I don't have a good excuse.."

"You don't need a excuse!" I scream, now feeling angry. "I know! I was only temporary!"

"No," He sighs. "That's not it!"

"I don't want to hear it! What was I to you? Some kind of sex partner? Fuck you! I would've let Preston kiss me if I knew!"

"You're saying that if I would've told you that I was cheating on you that you would date Preston!?" He screams back, really offended. "Yes! He is always there for me! He would've been here if he wasn't already in Washington! Seriously!? I loved you!"

Something snaps inside of him because several tears roll down his cheeks. "Loved? So, you don't love me anymore?" His voice is quiet and hurt. "No, I don't love you. Not after this. And don't bother calling me or even texting me!"

"Natalie."

"No. Just leave me alone! Don't ever talk to me again."

"Two whole years gone to waste."

I stood up and got in my car almost immediately. "You can cover up anything with a smile, right Lachlan?"

I looked at him through the side view mirror. His hand lifting up to light the cigarette between his teeth but, there was something that stood out to me.

There was no smile on his face to hide the real pain he was feeling inside.

(Authors Notes)

I know it's incredibly, incredibly, incredibly short but, I there is the epilogue and then a whole other book so this romance isn't over! Don't fret little one.

If you don't know what the sequel is it is called Sincerely (A CraftBattleDuty FanFiction) duh..