Who said I was in love with you?

They always say that a girl and a guy cannot be just friends. One is bound to fall in love with the other and completely ruin the friendship. I never used to believe it. I mean, I still don't, not in the case of most of my guy friends who are just that, friends. But in the case of Rami, that's a completely different story.

We've been close friends since middle school. We were always close, we never did anything without the other and we always told each other everything. That is until I turned 20 and realized I am in love with him and have been in love with him for a while.

I mainly found out about my feelings for him because I couldn't stop obsessing over him and the little things that he does. Like the way he looks down for a moment to really think about what he is going to say before he says it. The way he randomly shows affection to the people he loves such as kissing their cheeks at unexpected moments or tackling them into hugs. The way he looks and smiles at you, it's like your the only person that he really cares about. He's kind, he's loyal, he's funny and he's so down to earth.

When I figured out about my true feelings towards him, I had to tell somebody. I couldn't keep it to myself and have it basically eat at my thoughts, but now that I think about it, I shouldn't have told the person I did. She's not exactly trust worthy. I thought I would be able to carry on as normal, be his friend and pretend like I'm not totally in love with him and it was working for the longest time too. That is, until now when Rami and I are sitting close together on the couch just watching a film.

"Y/N, there's been something I've been wanting to ask you, and I've been needing to ask you for a while now because it's just been eating at my brain and..." I interrupt his ranting.

"Rami, it's okay, what is it?" I ask, pausing the movie. He just sits there, with this funny expression in his eyes and I start to become worried, fidgeting in my seat until I've finally had enough. "Rami, you're worrying me. What's happening?"

"Nothing, it's just, um, I heard something from someone, and uh, Y/N, are you in love with me?" Rami finally manages to say.

All I am able to do is stare at him in shock for what felt like the longest of times before I finally ask back; "who said I was in love with you?"

"Your friend might have told me on a whim." My blood boils. I knew I shouldn't have trusted her. I really should have learn't from the past. She's always one for just blurting out other people's secrets, especially to strangers on the street. I love her, but she needs to control herself. "So, Y/N, is it true?"

So, there are two options that I can take. The first one being that I lie and say no, causing our friendship to carry on as it's always been or I can tell him the truth, have my heart broken, effectively ending the friendship we have grown over so many years. It would seem obvious with these choices which one to choose, but the thing is, I don't know if I can carry on lying to him and to myself about being in love with him.

"Y/N?"

"Yes."

"Yes?" Rami asks, furrowing his eyebrows, slightly confused.

"Yes, I am in love with you. I think I have been since high school." He doesn't say anything so I look up at him so now it's my turn to start ranting. "But if you don't feel the same way then we can totally forget about all of this and we can try and be friends. Or if you don't feel comfortable with being my friend anymore, it'd hurt, but I'd totally understand..." This time he is the one who interrupts me by closing the distance between us by kissing me on the lips.

Kissing him was exactly how I imagined it would be, but then it also defied all expectations. I expected the kiss to be as soft and sweet as he is, but it's so much more. It's intimate, it's passionate, especially when I open my mouth to invite him in. It's everything and so much more so that when we break apart, all I can say is "wow".

"Yeah, wow." Rami agrees, caressing my face with affection. "I hope this shows you, Y/N, that I'm in love with you too. Have been for such a long time." This makes me smile, relief running through me at the thought that he actually loves me back.

"I think you're going to need to do more convincing." I say, making him smirk.

"I think I can do that."