My Protector - Part Two - Ahkmenrah

REQUESTED

Ahkmenrah's POV - 2006

When I wake up, everything is dark, pitch black, which makes me wonder if I've even opened my eyes. I try and move around, but I'm confined to a small space, barely able to move a muscle. My heart races as I start to panic, struggling against my stuffy confinements. How did I even get in here and where is Shayera? But then my memories start flooding back. My brother stabbed me and I died in Shayera's arms , or I thought I did. It doesn't seem like I'm dead now. And this doesn't seem like the afterlife, so that must mean I'm still alive. But if I'm confined to this space, something must have happened to Shayera. 

I start yelling and hitting against the walls of my confinements, more so when I hear movement from outside, but nobody helps. I often lose motivation and succumb to the silence, but then I think of Shayera and I'm back to struggling. Within my struggle, I hear a metallic thud of something heavy dropping beside my hip. I try and move around to see what it is, but no matter how hard I try, I can never seem to find out.

It feels like I have been trapped here, screaming and shouting for years. I know that it's only my thoughts of Shayera that is keeping me sane. Even when she isn't here, she is still protecting me. That is, until  a bright light and fresh air washes over me, alerting me to my freedom. When I can, I sit up and tear the bandages from my face so that I am able to breath and see the world around me. My eyes land on my two small rescuers in front of me.

"You have no idea how stuffy it is in there." I say, taking another deep breath of fresh air. I finally climb out of my tomb to stand in front of the men. "Thank you kind sir's for freeing me. I am Ahkmenrah, fourth king of the four kings."

"I'm Larry and this is my son Nick." The not so much taller man speaks up. I can see their eyes drifting to my tomb so I look down inside it and see the mystery object. Lying there is a metallic knife inscribed with my Egyptian scrawling. It's a knife which I immediately recognize as the one which I've never parted with for as long as I can remember. Shayera's resurrection knife. I quickly grab the knife and snap my head up to look at the two little men and they quickly back away.

"I'm not going to harm you. You saved me. But where is Shayera?" I ask.

"Who?" The one named Larry asks, confused.

"Shayera, my winged protector."

"Oh, you mean Y/N." Getting impatient, my voice starts to become a little snappier.

"Y/N, Shayera, just, where is she? I must see her." Larry knits his eyebrows together before he points behind me. I quickly turn around, maybe a little too fast, and see her tomb in the room directly across from mine. Feeling newfound hope to see Shayera again, I run towards her, Larry and Nick hot on my heels.

When I get to the tomb, I immediately push the lid off with ease. I see her and I sigh in relief. She looks just as I remember her, beautiful. She lays there peacefully, her wings wrapped around her as if she's trying to protect herself. Her facial features look so soft, I can't help but to stare at her. The only difference to how I remember her is how unnaturally pale she is.

"So, this is Shayera, your winged protector?" Little Nick asks, but I still don't look away from her, entranced.

"Correct. My brother must have killed her after he had killed me. He wanted to be king, you see. He wanted what I had." I reach down and smooth Shayera's hair back affectionately.

"You really care about her, don't you?" Nick asks.

"She's always had a special place in my heart."

"But, if you're awake, and everyone else in this museum is awake, how come she isn't?" Larry asks

"She can only be resurrected by the power of the Egyptian resurrection knife, which I have and seeing as I am her true king, only I can yield it. If this knife wasn't created for her, I don't know how I could have lived without her." I say more to myself.

"How come your just staring at her then?" Nick asks. "I thought you would have resurrected her by now." I sigh. He has a fair point.

"After many years not seeing her, I needed a moment to take her in. And she also doesn't like to be stared at, so I know this is my only chance." I smile. I look at her beauty for a few more seconds before I plunge the knife into her chest.