Under the Mistletoe

I love this photo. It's so beautiful.

"Y/N! You made it! I wasn't sure if you'd be coming or not." Joe says enthusiastically when he opens the front door and sees me.

"I obviously couldn't miss what would be the most entertaining party of the year, could I?" He laughs and stands to the side. Joe and I, while we are friends, we're not close enough to invite one another to our home parties, so when I got an invite, I was a little suspicious, but intrigued enough to come.

"Of course not. Well, welcome to my humble abode. Drinks are on the kitchen counter, help yourself." I grin as I enter his house. I can't seem to decide whether its surprising or not, but his house has been full on decorated in Christmas decorations. I don't think there is a single surface in the house that isn't decorated.

I walk through the house and head straight for the kitchen, pouring myself a drink. "Steady there girl. Don't want you to get black out drunk before you've had the chance to say hello to everyone." I snap my head at the familiar voice and a huge smile breaks out onto my face as my heart skips a beat.

"Rami!" I abandon my drink and run straight into Rami's outstretched arms. I haven't had the chance to hug him in so long but it feels just as warm, comforting and inviting as before. It feels like Rami's hugs. I pull away to look at him, unable to hide the huge smile on my face.  "I had no idea you were coming!"

"I had no idea you idea you were coming either. I've missed you so much." He says with a wide smile of his own and brings me back into a hug.

"I've missed you too. We cannot keep going such long periods of time without seeing each other."

"No, we shouldn't." This time we break away from each other finally, but stay within close range so that we're almost touching.

"So now you need to catch me up on everything that's happened."

"Well, there's not much to tell  -" Somebody coughs beside us, making me jump and Rami and I look over to see Joe standing there with an amused smirk on his face.

"Why don't we channel all of this chaotic chemistry you two have  into something like, I don't know, a kiss?" That's when I realize Joe is holding up a stick with a string around it and with mistletoe tied to the string, hanging above our heads. That is when everything clicks into place.

This was all a set up. I shouldn't have come. Does he think this is funny? Is he messing with me? The only thing I do know is that I can't be here anymore. So, without even looking at Rami, I turn around and bolt out the front door and down the street. I have no idea where the hell I'm going, but my feet seem to know as they take me to a small park where there is a little swing set and slide. Needing to breath, I sit down on one of my swings and push myself back and forth slightly with my feet, thinking about everything that had happened.

I don't know why I told Joe of all people about my love for Rami. I had only just met him on the set of The Pacific when I was just there to visit Rami, and yet I was willing to spill my guts to him. Who even does that?

Sure, it's ridiculous that I've loved Rami since we were in college together, but seeing as we haven't seen each other for a little over a year, I thought those feelings would go away. But I knew after that hug, they'll never go away.

I must be really in my head because before I even know someone was approaching, I see them sit on the swing next to me, bringing me out of my head. 

"How did you know where to find me?" I ask, not needing to look up to know who it is.

"Whenever you're upset, you always seem to go to the nearest park. I was hoping that wouldn't change." Rami holds out his hand, something he always does, a sign of comfort, and I don't think twice before linking his hand with mine. He always has that comforting and soothing presence about him.

"Why did you run away after you saw the mistletoe? You've never done that before with anyone else. Not your boyfriends, not strangers, not even your friends. You always take it in stride. So why me?" Rami asks, vulnerability laced slightly in his voice. I know if I give an excuse, he won't believe it unless it's the truth. So, I either say the truth, or say nothing. "Come on Y/N. It's just me you're talking to here. You know you can tell me anything." Can I though?

"It's because I love you and I've loved you for as long as I can remember." Maybe I can. I take a deep breath, gathering up my courage but still refusing to look at him. "I didn't want our first kiss, if we ever had one, to not be real. I also thought Joe might be messing with me because he knows I love you."

I can instantly feel myself relax after getting everything out in the open. It felt so good, that I don't really care about the consequences.

But then I kind of also do.

But Rami hasn't let go of my hand. No, instead he's holding my hand a little bit tighter, like he's afraid of letting go.

"Really?" Rami asks, after a moment of silence, his voice almost a whisper. "I thought Joe was messing with me because he knows I love you too." I snap my head up to look at him, his words sinking in my head as they repeat in my head. Rami loves me too? "Yeah." He laughs. Oh lord, I said that out loud. "I have since college. I guess Joe was onto something, wasn't he?" He smiles and moves his free hand above us. 

"Mistletoe?" I ask.

"I might have stolen it from Joe." He leans in closer despite the swing making it difficult, so his lips hover just over mine. "Merry Christmas, Y/N."

"Merry Christmas, Rami." I say and I close the gap.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!