Are we only friends? - High School AU

I woke up, sweating and panting. The room is still dark, pitch black, so I roll over and check the time on my phone; 4:32 am. I sigh and put down my phone before I roll back onto my back. My breathing has calmed but I still feel super hot, so I shove off a couple of blankets. 

I didn't wake up from one of my nightmares this time. No, instead I woke up from having a dream that made me feel so good and still leaves me feeling good. After all, it was a sex dream. 

I can still feel his hands lightly grazing over my body as his lips kissed my thighs. I remember what it felt like when he decided to move his lips up my body, moving his tongue skillfully along my sensitive skin towards hips, my breasts, my neck, stopping occasionally to suck on my skin to leave a mark, making me moan, and I definitely remember when he moved away from my neck to look at my face. That's when I realized, with him hovering above me, who I was dreaming about.

I was having a sex dream, an incredibly hot sex dream, about my best friend, Rami. That's when I woke up.

I swear I can still feel his touches and caresses all over me, like he is still here touching me, but I know I am alone here in my room. Why do I have to have such an overactive imagination? My heart is still pounding and there is no way in hell I should be feeling as turned on as I am right now. I've never seen Rami as anything more than a friend before, so why did my brain just decide to show me these images now?

But now I can't stop thinking about this dream and wondering if he is like that in real life, if he is as skilled as he was in my dream. I seriously need to stop thinking about him like that. We've been friends since we were eight, why should a stupid little dream change anything about that? Things will carry on as they always have. I will make sure of it.

But I knew as soon as I arrived at school and saw him coming towards me in the halls by my locker that that wasn't going to be the case. As soon as I saw him, my mind instantly flashed to the dream, making my cheeks heat up, my heart race and I suddenly feel incredibly flustered. I quickly look back into my locker and start filling my bag full of books, trying to fill it up before Rami gets here, but today doesn't seem to be my lucky day.

"Hey, Y/N/N." Rami says, leaning his arm on my locker door. I glance at Rami's smiling face before I quickly look away. There is no way I can get through this today. 

"Hey, Rami." I reply, my voice shaky. Rami's eyebrows crease, as if he's starting to get a little worried. 

"Everything alright, Y/N?"

"Yeah, why?" I try and say as casually as I can.

"You just seem a little off." Because I saw you in multiple positions I never thought I would see you in.

"I just didn't get enough sleep is all. Don't worry about me." I say before slamming my locker shut and give Rami what I know is a weak smile. I can tell he wants to pry, so I quickly say; "I gotta go to class. I'll see you later," before walking off to find my class, not waiting for a reply.

That was not acting normal at all. I just made this whole situation worse. I knew it would be difficult, but I didn't think it would be that difficult. Especially when my heart did that weird fluttery jumpy thing. I definitely think the best thing I can do is just try and ignore him for at least the rest of the day. Yep. That should work.

But not even that seemed to work. Today I just seemed to keep running into Rami when I would least expect it. He just keeps popping up out of nowhere! Does this guy have an invisibility cloak that I don't know about or something? I'm running out of excuses to get away from him and I know he definitely suspects something. He was always a better actor than I am. And by the time lunch came around, he seemed to get sick of me avoiding him, because as soon as he saw me, he stood up from our usual table with our friends, came over to me, grabbed my arm and pulled me into the empty hallway.

"Okay, why are we out here?" I ask, trying to play dumb, ignoring the burning, tingling sensation in my arm spreading around my body and to my racing heart.

"You know why." He says, frustration clear in his voice. "I know something is going on with you and don't give me that bullshit about it being nothing. It's obviously something. You've been acting weird since I saw you this morning and you've been avoiding me. So just tell me, please, what's going on?" I can see the desperation in his eyes and I know I need to tell him, but that doesn't stop me from trying just one more time to get out of it. 

"I don't think that's a good idea. It might ruin our friendship. Trust me."

"Okay, now you have to tell me what happened. It won'r ruin our friendship. I promise, but your freaking me out, so please tell me."

I sigh. Looks like there is no way of getting out of this one. Taking a shaky, nervous breath, I tell him. "I had a dream about you." I refuse to say anymore.

"Really? That's it? A dream? That doesn't sound bad at..."

"It was a sex dream." I blurt out before I could even stop myself, making Rami freeze, his mouth falling open in shock. I'm about to start panicking until Rami bursts out laughing, making me confused.

"That's it?" I try and say something, but I'm so confused, nothing comes out. "Y/N, I've had so many sex dreams. Multiple with you in it. You don't need to act all weird about it. It's all good. We're still friends, a sex dream isn't going to change that, okay?" He says with a wide smile and I can't help but notice the way my heart sunk with his response.

"Okay." I say with a weak smile.

"Great." He says, wrapping his arm around my shoulder, pulling him closer to him. "Now lets gets some food. I'm starving." 

Why am I so disappointed with his response? Did I actually want things to change between us? Did I actually want that dream to come true?