Chapter Five

On there way back to Zoe's they stopped off at a store to buy the ingredients they would need. Richard also bought a carton on Ben and Jerry's ice cream. They arrived back home at around four to find the carers beginning to prepare Daniel's meal.

"How was you day love?" Nancy one of Daniel's carers asked as she watched Zoe and Richard so happy together. Nancy had been caring for Daniel for five years now ever since Zoe had needed the help and she had come to get to know Zoe pretty well. She had watched as this girl would push herself everyday to work and then care for her brother without a thought to care for herself in the process. Nancy has never heard a complaint from Zoe about anything and she always had a smile for anyone so Nancy knew she deserved some happiness. Nancy had of course recognised Richard. She was a fan of Game of Thrones herself and her daughter was obsessed with Cinderella so she had seen him as the prince many times. She didn't let on to this and greeted him just as warmly as she did with Zoe.

"It was great thank you Nancy. I really have had fun." Zoe replied.

"Aww I'm really happy for you" Nancy replied. "You will have to tell me all about it."

Nancy listened as they both told her about their day to the zoo followed by lunch. As they each explained the details they were both so animated and barely took their eyes off each other. It was obvious they were crazy for each other. Nancy smiled to herself. She really hoped Richard would continue to support her as he really appeared to be changing Zoe's life for the better.

"Oh no Nancy," Zoe said suddenly "it's five thirty, I shouldn't keep you any longer."

Nancy looked at the clock and signed. As much as she couldn't wait to get back to her own family she was enjoying listening to these pair. There had been many evenings when she had seen Zoe come home from work looking exhausted and she had really just wanted to stay and help her further but the agency were so strict and if they were to then find out she would lose her job for sure.

Zoe and Richard spent the next couple of hours with Daniel, Zoe telling him all about the animals she had seen at the zoo that day until they put him to bed. Once he was asleep Zoe left his room to join Richard who had started preparing their dinner in the kitchen. She sat herself down at one of the stools at the kitchen counter and Richard poured her a glass of wine and handed it to her.

"Thank you" she said as she took a sip of the wine and watched and Richard started to prepare the ingredients.

Once Richard had finished cooking they spent the next couple of hours sat at the kitchen counter eating their meal and talking. As Zoe got up to gather all the dishes together to wash up she felt Richard's hand on her arm.

"You stay seated love, I'll do that."

"But you cooked so it's my turn to wash up" Zoe protested.

"No I wanted to make this evening special for you so that means no dirty dishes for you." Richard replied.

She watched as Richard filled the sink with hot water and soap and started to wash the dishes. She stood up again and walked around to the back of him and wrapped her arms around his waist, resting her face onto his back.

"Thank you for everything Richard" Zoe said sleepily "You really have changed me."

Once the washing up was done Richard turned round to face Zoe, her arms still wrapped around his waist and lifts her face to look at him.

"You really are beautiful and I can feel myself falling more every minute I am with you" Richard whispered leaning down to kiss Zoe on the forehead. By now the tiredness had really started to take Zoe and Richard could see that.

"Now then I think it's time we got sleeping beauty to bed." Richard says before lifting Zoe into his arms and carrying her up to her bedroom. He helped her change into her pyjamas and tucked her into her side of the bed. By the time he had stripped down to his boxers and climbed into the other side of the bed he could hear Zoe's soft slow breaths signally she was already asleep.

"You sleep soundly my love" Richard whispered "I really do think I love you".