Chapter Twenty Seven

By the time the twelve week scan came around Zoe and Richard were both excited to see the baby again. They had both decided that they would keep their pregnancy quiet until the twelve week scan was done and then they would let their friends and colleagues know.

They both entered the clinic and once they had given their name at reception the took a seat in the waiting area.

"Would you like to know the gender of our baby?" Richard asked.

"I think I would like a surprise" Zoe replied.

They got called through by their doctor and made their way into the room. Following the same routine as last time Zoe lay down on the bed and lifted her shirt ready for the ultrasound. This time they could see their baby much clearer on the screen as they had grown so much in just a short time.

"Yes everything still looks perfect" the doctor said as she moved the scanner around across Zoe's stomach.

Thirty minutes later they both left the clinic with a picture of their ultrasound tucked away in Zoe's bag.

"I guess now is the time we start telling people" Richard said giving Zoe's hand a squeeze.

"Yes it is and I know just who I owe it to to tell first" Zoe replied biting her lip.

"Oliver?" Richard guesses.

Zoe pulled her phone out of her bag whilst Richard hailed a cab and dialled Oliver's number. Oliver answered within a couple of rings.

"Hey Zoe you ok?" Oliver asked.

"Hello Oliver, yeah I'm good, if there any chance I could call round and see you?" Zoe asked.

"Sure you can, I'm at home all day" Oliver replied.

"Great, we'll be there in twenty minutes." Zoe replied.

As they made their journey by taxi across London, Zoe was nervous. Oliver had done so much for her and her career and just as he had got her the chance of a lifetime with this recording contract she felt like being pregnant was going to rule that out for both of them. This recording contract meant just as much to Oliver as it did to Zoe. He would have the writing credits for most of the songs and should the album be a success this could really open up Oliver's career too. They arrived outside Oliver's house and as Richard paid the taxi driver Zoe made her way to the front door and knocked.

"Hey guys" Oliver said as he opened the door "and to what do I owe this pleasure?"

"May we come in?" Zoe asked.

"Of course" Oliver replied stepping back and pulling his front door fully open. He showed them through to the front room and Richard and Zoe took a seat side by side on the sofa.

"Can I get either of you a drink" Oliver asked as he hovered in front of his seat.

"We're fine" Zoe smiled nervously. She just wanted to get this over with as soon as possible. Oliver took his seat and looked across at Richard and Zoe.

"We have some news for you" Zoe started as she squeezed her hands together. "I'm pregnant."

"Wow" Oliver replied as he took the news in. "Congratulations to you both."

"Thanks mate" Richard smiled.

"Now I know this is a big year for us both so I hope this won't affect anything. But I understand that that decision will be down to Sony" Zoe said.

Oliver nodded. "When are you due?"

"October" Zoe replied.

"Well that's ok then." Oliver replied his mood picking up. "We can still record the album and release over the summer with some publicity and then by the end of August you can take leave for the rest of the year for your baby. The tour wasn't set in stone yet anyway so that can be postponed. Let me call Chris and Paul and discuss it with them."

Zoe and Richard watched as Oliver began lifted his phone out and made a call. They couldn't tell from the one sided conversation what was happening but by the time Oliver ended the call he was grinning.

"It's all agreed like we said. They really don't want to miss out having you on their label. The album will be released over the summer and then all promotion will be complete by the end of August." Oliver said.

"Wow that's amazing." Zoe said as she jumped up and ran over to give Oliver a hug. "I was really worried I was going to lose the contract."

"Believe me Zoe, Sony aren't daft. They know that if they had turned you down any other label would have jumped in right after them. They really didn't want to lose you." Oliver replied.

"I guess now we just have to tell the rest of our friends and family." Richard said.

***

The following weekend Zoe and Richard had arranged a dinner for Richard's parents who were visiting London for the weekend, Kit and Rose and Tom who had become a good friend of theirs during their visit to Los Angeles for the Oscars. It had ended up that they had been on the same flights and had really got to know each other over the long journey. They would then break the news to them all together. Richard's parents had arrived on the Saturday morning and although Zoe had protested that they were their guests, Pat had insisted on helping her out in the kitchen that evening. Zoe had chosen to make a sweet potato and pepper soup to start, followed by her fish pie and apple crumble for desert. Richard and his father prepared the table and nipped out to the shop to pick some wine for the evening.

At seven there was a knock at the door and Kit, Rose and Tom had all arrived at the same time. They all greeted each other and Richard arranges drinks for everyone and by seven thirty the soup was ready so Zoe served it whilst everyone sat down.

Once they had all finished their soup Zoe looked at Richard who nodded at her and smiled.

"I guess now is a good time to give you all these." Zoe said as Richard stood up and handed and envelope to each of their guests.

They all looked down at their envelopes and opened them together. Inside was a copy of the ultrasound from their twelve week scan.

"Your pregnant?" Pat asked looked from Zoe to Richard.

"I am" Zoe replied.

"Wow that is amazing news" Kit said jumping to his feet. "I'm going to be Uncle Kit!" By now everyone was on their feet and hugging both Richard and Zoe.

"Congratulations Zoe" Richard senior said as he hugged her " I really can't wait to have
Another grandchild."