Chapter Nineteen

For Christmas, Zoe and Richard had been invited up to Scotland to stay with Richard's parents. They packed their bags for a nine day stay as Richard had planned to take Zoe over to Edinburgh for new year. With Richard's busy schedule the last few weeks Zoe was looking forward to spending the nine days together.

"So what are you Christmas family tradition?" Zoe asked as Richard drove them away from London.

"What do you mean by tradition?" Richard asked.

"We just do the usual really" Richard shrugged.

"Come on elaborate. I haven't had a family Christmas in years, I want to know what your family do at Christmas" Zoe pushed.

For the last few Christmas' Zoe hadn't really celebrated the occasion. Apart from the fact she got time off from work so she hadn't needed to pay for carers and she didn't buy presents for Daniel they had just let the day pass by like any other. She was never able to decorate the house as it would have got in the way of Daniel's equipment and the day was always just spent as her and Daniel since her Grandma had died.

"Well we usually all get up in the morning together and open presents" Richard started. "Then Mum will start the Christmas dinner with us all chipping in to help where we can and then once we have finished dinner we usually collapse on the sofas from being so full and play games."

"That sounds like a great Christmas!" Zoe said smiling. "Do you do anything particular on Christmas Eve?"

"Not really. We usually all just get in our pyjamas and much to my sisters annoyance get my nieces excited for Santa coming that evening." Richard laughed. "I think every year once they go back home their parents have a nightmare getting them to bed. I will miss that this year."

Zoe watched as Richard looked disappointed. Both of his sisters had been invited to their partners families for Christmas this year so Christmas Day would just be Zoe, Richard and Richard's parents.

"You are really going to miss them aren't you?" Zoe asked.

"I love them kids to bits" Richard replied. "Just wish I got to see them more than I do."

"Would you like kids of your own one day?" Zoe asked curiously.

"I would love some" Richard replied. Zoe smile to herself. She could see Richard being a great Dad to his children one day. Maybe they would even be her children too.

***

Their first two days in Scotland came and went in a blur as they helped Pat and Richard prepare for Christmas. All their presents were wrapped and under the tree and Zoe had been shopping with Pat to help buy all the food they would need whilst Richard had stayed home so he wouldn't be recognised with his Dad getting wood ready for the fire.

Zoe awoke first on Christmas morning and rolled over to find Richard still soundly asleep. She leant over and kissed him on the forehead.

"Happy Christmas my sleeping angel" Zoe whispered.

Richard slowly opened his eyes and focused on his surroundings before looking at Zoe.

"Happy Christmas to my beautiful girlfriend." Richard replied as he pulled her head down to his own and kissed her passionately.

"I can't believe this is my first proper Christmas in years" Zoe replied smiling. "I am so excited."

"Come on then" Richard laughed. "Let's go downstairs and see if my parents are up yet."

The both pulled their dressing gowns on and made their way downstairs and into the living room where the Christmas tree was. Richard senior was already lighting a fire for them all.

"This all just looks so amazing" Zoe replied as she took in all her surroundings. Pat had decorated the house before they had arrived in Scotland but seeing it all on Christmas morning still took her breath away.

Pat followed them into the room with two mugs in her hand.

"Here we go you two" she said handing the mugs to Richard and Zoe. "I thought you would appreciate this."

"Thank you Pat and merry Christmas." Zoe said as she took the first sit.

"Thanks Mum. Happy Christmas" Richard said as he placed a kiss on her cheek.

Once the fire was lit the four of them all sat around the tree and began to hand out presents. Between them Zoe and Richard had bought Richard senior a bottle of single malt whisky from the year he was born, which Richard had been able to source online.

"Wow thank you both, this looks amazing" Richard senior said as he read the label. They had them bought his Mum a beautiful statement necklace as when they had come to stay to go to the premiere Zoe had heard her Mum saying she couldn't find a suitable necklace for the occasion.

"Wow thank you both, it is beautiful" she said as she admired the necklace.

"Now you have something to wear for all these film premieres" Richard grinned.

Then it was Richard's parents turn to give Richard and Zoe their present. Pat handed Zoe and envelope she opened and pulled the piece of paper out.

"We are going to Disney World?" Zoe announced. Richard took the piece of paper from Zoe and read it.

"Well it hasn't been booked yet and we didn't know what both your schedules were like but this year as Christmas gifts for everyone we are going to take the entire family to Florida. We don't get to see you all that often and it will be nice to spend the time together as an entire family." Pat said.

"Have you told the kids yet?" Richard asked.

"No not yet we are going to tell them tomorrow when we see them" Pat replied.

"Oh I can't wait to see their faces" Richard laughed.

"Thank you so much" Zoe said getting up to hug both Pat and Richard senior.

Zoe then gave Richard his gift. As he opened it his mouth fell open.

"I know we said we agreed we wouldn't spend a fortune on each other so I found this and though it was perfect." Zoe said.

"It is perfect. It is beautiful" Richard replied as he stared at the framed picture.

"What is it?" Pat asked.

Richard turned the frame round to show his parents. "It is the stars above the hospital the day we met each other. The night I stayed with Zoe waiting for her to wake up. The start of our relationship I guess you could say."

"Wow that is beautiful" Richard senior replied.

Richard then handed her his present. She ripped open the wrapping to find a jewellery box. She lifted the lid to find a beautiful silver Cartier Love bangle.

"Wow it's beautiful" Zoe said staring at the box in front of her. "Thank you Richard."

"Read the inscription on the inside" Richard said smiling. Zoe lifted the bracelet up and turned it to read the inside "I'll be thinking of you even when we're lightyears apart." It was a line from Glow but Zoe knew Richard also meant it in terms of their relationship. Even if their careers meant they would be apart from time to time Richard would always be thinking of her.

"Thank you Richard" Zoe said as she fell a tear begin to fall from her eye. "It's beautiful."

"I love you so much Zoe" Richard said as he pulled Zoe into his arms.

"Will you help me put it on?" Zoe asked.

Richard helped Zoe with the screws and the bracelet was soon on her wrist.

"Now you will always be with me no matter where we are in the world" Zoe said touching the bracelet.