Chapter Eight

Eight days later and it was the day of the funeral. Zoe had planned it all and Daniel was to be buried with her Grandma at the church. There weren't going to be many guests there, just herself, Richard, Kit and the four carers who had helped her over the last five years.

Zoe climbed out of the shower and wrapped a towel around herself before walking through to Richard's bedroom. Zoe had been back to her own house since Daniel died to do some of the funeral arrangements but she had always slept at Richard's every night.

Richard was already in the bedroom sat on the end of the bed pulling a pair of socks on.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"I really just want today to be over with to be honest" Zoe said. Since Daniel's death she had been dreading today. Today would be the day she would say her final goodbye to her brother.

They both dressed in silence, Richard opting for the black suit and tie combination whilst Zoe wore a black dress matched with a pair of heels. Now that the bruises were going down Zoe was able to dress herself again now but Richard helped her with the zip up the back.

Once they were both ready Richard looked at Zoe

"Are you ready?" He asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be I guess" Zoe replied.

Richard took her hand and led her downstairs. Outside was a car waiting for them with Kit. Kit gave Zoe a hug as she reached them and then the three of them climbed into the back of the car.

They travelled in silence to the church. Richard kept hold of Zoe's hand the entire journey giving her encouraging squeezes ever now and again. The last week Richard had been a god send for Zoe and she knew she wouldn't have been able to get through any of this without him. No matter what was happening throughout her grieving process he always seemed to understand when she wanted to be alone and if she needed someone he was always there his arm wrapped around her in comfort. She hadn't said it to him yet but she knew she loved him and she didn't want to think of a life without him in it anymore.

Kit had been amazing to. He had phoned Richard everyday to see how they were and to see if there was anything he could do. On a couple of days when he knew that they had been busy he had turned up in the evening with a home cooked meal for them both that Rose had sent him round with to make sure that they found the time to eat. Zoe hadn't met Rose yet but she planned to soon to thank her.

The funeral passed by in a blur. The coffin entered the church and then before she knew it they were scattering dirt on to the top of Daniel's coffin as it lay in the ground. Tears had streamed down Zoe's face throughout the entire service but Richard had kept her close to his side the entire time, his arm around her waist his hand rubbing encouraging circles into her side. Without Richard, Zoe would have just been a mess on the floor.

At the end of the funeral all seven of them agreed to go to the local pub and have a drink in Daniel's memory. As they all stood in a circle drinks in hand they all raised their glasses in unison.

"To Daniel" They Chorused.

Zoe thanked all the carers for everything they had done for Daniel over the years and they all promised to keep in touch with her and then before she knew it the car was pulling up outside Richard's house again. The three of them climbed out and Kit said his goodbyes promising to call them the next day.

As Richard and Zoe entered Richard's house she was shattered and collapsed on the sofa.

"I'll go and make you something to eat" Richard said "as you have barely eaten all day."

"Can we just order pizza?" Zoe asked as she yawned.

"Of course love" Richard replied.

As they made there way up to bed a couple of hours later Zoe felt like she would be able to sleep for a week. She changed into her pyjamas and climbed into bed beside Richard and wrapped her arm around his waist resting her head on her shoulder.

"Thank you for everything" Zoe said her eyes closing with tiredness.

"My pleasure" Richard replied. "Anything for my sleeping beauty."

"I love you" Zoe whispered.

"I love you too Zoe" Richard replied pressing a kiss on the top of Zoe's head as she fell fast asleep.