Chapter Nine

The next morning when Zoe awoke she was alone in bed. She looked across at the clock and it was 11.30am. She really had needed some sleep. She climbed out of bed and made her way downstairs. She found Richard in the kitchen at the stove.

"Morning" she yawned before kissing Richard on the lips.

"Morning gorgeous. I was just making you some breakfast to bring to you in bed" Richard said indicating to the eggs in the pan.

"I can't believe I managed to sleep so long." Zoe said.

"I think after the last week your body needed it." Richard said as he tipped the eggs out into a plate and brought the plate over to Zoe. He then poured some orange juice into a glass and put that down in front of her also before sitting in the seat opposite her at the table.

"Are you not eating?" Zoe asked as she tucked into the breakfast in front of her.

"I ate earlier but I wanted to let you sleep as long as possible" Richard replied running a hand through his hair. "How are you feeling now?"

"Not as tired now" Zoe replied in between eating mouth fulls of egg. "It still feels strange that he has gone but I feel so much better now that the funeral is over."

"You will grieve for a while, that is understandable" Richard said reaching across the table to place a hand on top of one of Zoe's. "Just know that I will be here for you no matter what."

"Thank you Richard" Zoe replied. "I love you."

"I love you too" Richard replied.

Zoe continued to eat her breakfast when a thought came to her head.

"Richard do you have any plans today?" She asked.

"None at all, I'm all yours" Richard replied.

"Can we invite Kit and Rose round this evening. I would like to cook for them both as a thank you and of course I can't wait to meet Rose" Zoe said.

"Of course we can as long as you feel up to it" Richard replied with a concerning look.

Zoe who had finished her eggs now stood up from the table and walked round to Richard's side and sat herself on his knee. He wrapped his arms around her in response.

"For me to grieve I need to carry on with life. I need to keep busy and I need normality around me. I have always been busy it is what I do" Zoe replied playing with a curl in Richard's hair.

"If that's what you want I'll give them a call now" Richard replied and kissed Zoe on the lips.

***

Five hours later Zoe and Richard had returned from a quick trip to the store for supplies and Zoe was busying herself in Richard's kitchen. She had opted to make one of her favourite dishes tonight, fish pie.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Richard asked as he watched her prepare the fish.

"Would you be able to get the table ready please?" She asked.

"Of course love" Richard replied.

Once the pie was in the oven, this then gave Zoe chance to go and get changed. It was a very casual affair tonight but she still wanted to look nice for her guests. She decided to pair a dark green top with her favourite skinny jeans.

"You look lovely" Richard said as he walked into the bedroom after having a shower with only a towel wrapped around his waist.

"So do you" Zoe said as she felt herself blush.

"Oh do I now?" Richard asked as he sat down on the bed and pulled her down onto his knee.

"Richard your soaking wet!" Zoe said as she tried to pull away from his grip.