Chapter Fourteen

The next day Zoe was sat on the sofa reading a book when Richard walked through from the kitchen.

"Have you got any plans this weekend?" He asked sitting besides her on the sofa.

"No none at all" Zoe replied.

"Well I have just been talking to my parents on the phone and they really want to meet you so have invited us up to their house for the weekend. What do you think?" Richard's asked.

"To Scotland?" Zoe asked.

"Yes they still live in the house I grew up in" Richard replied.

"I would love to meet your parents and I have never been to Scotland before" Zoe said. "When do we leave?"

"That's great my Mum will be so excited" Richard laughed. "We can leave Friday morning if that's ok with you. Be a good break before things start getting busy with press interviews next week."

"That's perfect" Zoe replied.

***

By eleven on Friday morning they had their weekend bags both packed in the back of Richard's car and they were on their way to Scotland.

It took them six hours to get to Richard's home town and by the time Richard parked his car outside his parents house Zoe couldn't wait to stretch her legs. Richard got both their bags from the back of the car and led the way towards the front door. Before they had even reached the door it flew open and a lady in her sixties came running out.

"Richard it's so good to see you" she said as she threw her arms around him.

"Hi Mum, it's good to see you too" Richard replied as they pulled away from each other. "Can I introduce you to Zoe? Zoe this is my Mum Pat."

Pat turned to look at Zoe and before she knew what was happening Pat had pulled her into a hug just as she had done with her son moments earlier.

"Zoe it's so nice to finally meet you, we have heard so much about you" Pat said.

"All good I hope" Zoe laughed nervously.

"Of course" Pat replied. "We just can't believe how happy you have made our son."

"He has made me the happiest I have ever been" Zoe replied smiling at Richard.

Pat watched the way her son and his girlfriend looked at each other and could see how much they cared for each other. Pat had met all of Richard's girlfriends before but she had never seen him look at a girl in the same was he was looking at Zoe.

"Let's go inside and get the kettle on" Pat said standing back from the door to allow them through. "Your Dad is already in the kitchen."

Zoe followed Richard and Pat through the house and into the kitchen, dropping their bags at the bottom of the stairs. Their kitchen was a large room at the back of the house with views across the back garden. Zoe could imagine when Richard was younger them all sitting in here as a family eating their evening meal every night.

Richard senior, Richard's father was stirring a large dish when they entered the room.

"Hi Dad" Richard said as they entered the room.

"Hey son" Richard senior replied "how was the drive?"

"It was good, not much traffic. Can I introduce you to Zoe?" Richard replied.

Zoe stepped out from behind Richard and stepped forward to meet Richard senior who pulled her into a hug.

"It is lovely to meet you finally Zoe" Richard senior replied.

"You too" Zoe replied. Then she caught a scent of what Richard had been stirring in the pot. "Wow What is that smell? It smells delicious."

"It's Scotch broth" Richard senior replied.

"Wait till you try it, Dad's recipe is world famous" Richard said.

"I look forward to it" Zoe replied.

Pat made them all a coffee and the four of then sat down around the round kitchen table.

"How are you feeling now Zoe after the loss of Daniel?" Pat asked taking the first sip of her coffee.

"I still miss him so much but I have plenty of things to distract myself at the moment" Zoe replied.

"Ah yes how did the recording go?" Richard senior asked.

"It went really well. I am very proud of what we have achieved" Zoe replied. A smile stretching across her face.

"Wait till you hear it, it's amazing" Richard replied. He wrapped his arm around Zoe's waist. "This one here certainly has some powerful lungs."

They continued to talk together for a couple of hours, Zoe getting to know Richard's parents until Richard's seniors Scotch Broth was ready which he served into four bowls. Once they had all eaten they all went through to the living room together and all chose a film to watch. Whilst Zoe snuggled into Richard on the sofa, Pat left the room for a couple of minutes and then returned with a couple of bowls of popcorn.

"Your the best Mum" Richard said as he accepted one of the bowls of his mum and placed it on his knee for himself and Zoe.

By the time the film had finished a couple of hours later Zoe was falling asleep on Richard's shoulder so they all agreed that it was time for bed. Richard led Zoe upstairs to his old bedroom and they both changed and got into bed.

"Your parents are great" Zoe said as Richard wrapped his arm around her.

" I can tell they certainly like you" Richard replied smiling.

"Really?" Zoe asked surprised. "I'm glad though as I really like them."

***

The following day Richard's two sisters and their families came round for the day and Pat cooked a roast dinner for everyone. Zoe enjoyed meeting everyone and getting to play with the kids. She had sat back with Pat on the Saturday afternoon watching Richard play with his nieces. She could see that they meant the world to him and that he would make a great father. Then all too soon it was Sunday and Richard and Zoe were loading their bags into the car and saying goodbye to Richard's parents.

"You will see us again very soon" Pat said as she hugged Zoe "We are coming down to London for the premiere."

"I hope you will stay with us" Richard replied.

"If that's not too much trouble" Pat replied.

"Of course not" Zoe replied smiling. "It will be our pleasure."