Chapter Twenty Eight

Richard was sat in the family room at the hospital when Kit and Rose arrived

Richard was sat in the family room at the hospital when Kit and Rose arrived. When they first saw him he looked like death. When they had first received his phone call to say that something has gone wrong with the birth they had dropped everything and headed straight to the hospital. The pregnancy had gone so smoothly but yet the birth seemed to be going so wrong.

"What has happened Richard?" Kit asked rushing and kneeling down in front of Richard. Richard kept his head down and Kit could see the tears in Richard's eyes.

"What happened Richard? Is Zoe and the baby okay?" Rose asked taking a seat besides Richard.

"I really don't know" Richard said wiping the tears away. "The birth was going well and then all of a sudden there was an awful lot of blood and Zoe lost consciousness. That is when I was hurried out of the delivery room and I was shown through to this room. I haven't heard a word since. Zoe and my baby might both me dead for all I know."

Kit watched as a fresh set of tears reached Richard's eyes.

"Richard try not to think like that" Rose said taking Richard's hand in hers.

"Yes Richard. Surely no news is good news. They must still be treating them both." Kit said.

"I really hope your right" Richard said as he bowed his head into both his hands. "I don't think I could live without Zoe in my life anymore."

"We have to keep the hope Richard, Zoe is strong and a fighter. She will get through whatever has happened." Kit said.

The three of them continued to wait in the family room Richard with his head in his hands, Rose reassuringly rubbing Richard's back while Kit paced back and too across the room. After about half an hour the door to the room opened and they all looked up to see a doctor walk in. Richard jumped to his feet.

"Mr Madden, Zoe's contractions stopped and in our attempts to get the contractions to start again to save the baby Zoe began to haemorrhage and suffered from a large amount of blood loss." The doctor started.

"Oh god they are both dead aren't they" Richard wailed as tears began to stream down his face.

"No no not at all" The doctor said quickly to try and comfort Richard. "Both mother and baby are fine. We are going to keep Zoe sedated for twelve hours whilst we let her body recover as we had to give her a blood transfusion but she will be fine. You are now a father to a healthy son."

"Oh thank god" Richard said as he dropped to his knees.

Rose rushed over and threw her arms around him. "See Richard everything is going to be okay."

"Thank you doctor" Kit said shaking the doctors hand.

"It's all in a days work." The doctor replied smiling. "When the father is ready he can come and meet his son."