Chapter 16 | critical

McKayla's POV:

Ryan and I hadn't finished our discussion from the previous night, he was in Watkins Glen for this weekend's race. Summerlyn and Noah went with Ryan, as Briella and Jordyn stayed home with me. I decided not to go to the race, because of personal reasons with Ryan and because I had an ultrasound appointment on Saturday, which was today. I dropped Briella and Jordyn off with my mom before my appointment.

As I was driving to my appointment, I could help but think. I was mostly dumbfounded that Ryan kept his drinking relapse from me for as long as he did. He'd always been terrible hiding it when we were teenagers. I thought about just letting him do what he wanted, for god sake he was a grown man now, he would probably act nothing as he did back in high school. But at the same time, I was scared... What if nothing changed?

| FLASHBACK |

"Where could he be?" I asked myself walking down the dark and empty street. I make my way towards his house. The ground was lightly shaking as I approached closer to Ryan's house. Music was booming and blasting from the house as I got closer. Disturbing the silent night. Beer bottles and cans littered the front lawn. A light haze filled the surrounding air, making the smell of smoke became clear. I cough as the smell became stronger. "What the hell?" I question as I walked through the open door.

People filled the room, drinking, smoking, dancing, talking. I rolled my eyes at just the sight of it. Ryan has gotten too out of control. His addiction has gotten worse. I would get beaten up at least once a night since he was so out of it. I have never told anybody about Ryan's abuse. I would cover up the deep cuts and scar, and bruises with makeup.

You're probably asking why I haven't broken up with him yet... Well, I'm scared of what he might do to me. He never seemed sober anymore. I didn't know who he was anymore.

"Hey, McKaylaaa." Bubba slurs dragging the a.

"Where's Ryan?" I yelled over the music.

"He's been a busy boy, upstairs," Bubba smirks in reply. I thank him and walked up the stairs, I walked down the hall towards Ryan's room. Something stopped me as I reached for the door handle. 'What did Bubba mean when he said Ryan was a busy boy?'

"WHAT THE HELL RYAN!" I yell as I swing open the door, and see Ryan pinning another girl against the wall. He kissed her over and over again. They both freeze. The girl pushes him off and runs past me almost half-naked, downstairs. I walked in and slammed the door shut behind me. "What the hell Ryan!" I screamed in his face. Hot tears burned down my cheeks as they rolled down.

"Whaaaaaaaat?" He slurs in my face. "I was a little busy there!" He yells in my face. The smell of alcohol was strong coming from his mouth. I was pretty sure he was more wasted than Bubba.

"Yeah! Throwing yourself on another girl!" I yell back. "I have given you chance after chance! I'm tired of this Ryan! I'm sick and tired of this! I don't know where all the drugs and addictions came from, but it better stop!" I yelled. He grabs ahold of my wrists and forcefully slams me into the wall. A picture frame on the wall drops and shatters on the ground.

"I can do whatever I want!" Ryan yelled pushing me down into the shattered glass. I gasp in pain and fought the tears trying so hard to escape. "You cannot tell me what to do!" He yells again making me flinch. As I attempt to get back up, only to get physically beaten down. Ryan takes a beer bottle and drinks it whole. He freezes for a moment, then passes out on his bed.

I looked down at my legs and blood dripped down my legs. The bruises already becoming visible.

"Hey Ry-" Chase stops in his tracks. "McKayla? What happened!" He exclaims rushing over to me. I sobbed into my brother's chest. Every tear soaking his shirt. I didn't have the words to say what had happened. All I did was point over at Ryan. Anger grew in the eyes of Chase as I pointed at Ryan. Chase picked me up and carried me downstairs, and was carrying me all the way towards home.

"I'll be right back," Chase says laying me on the couch once we got back home. Chase comes back with the first aid kit at hand. He cleans all the cuts and bandaged them.

"Thanks, Chase." I choke.

"What happened?" He asked pulling me closer to him. I just began to cry harder into his chest. I couldn't find the words. "Shh McKayla, it's alright," Chase adds attempting to calm me down.

'Why are you crying?' I asked myself. 'Ryan has beaten you up before' my mind says. 'But he cheated on you this time!'

"I'm done with Ryan." I sobbed.

| END OF FLASHBACK |

The funny thing about life is things happen when you least expect it...

CRASH