9. Youre the reason

Image: Antoni Frank

Dylan's POV:

I enter the coven late and head straight to my room. How is Amanda alive? I saw her dead body and it didn't sense that she was going to change. Before I can lock my door behind me, it flings open and Diego stands in the doorway.

"Why were you out so late? You know we have a curfew now," he asks, disappointed. I know that I can't let anyone know that Amanda is alive but I have so many questions for Diego.

"I was investigating a case," I say with closed teeth, trying to keep my mouth shut so I don't say something I shouldn't.

"Just because you are head of the coven doesn't mean you can go out and do anything you want to. We have to set a good example for all the new vampires," he adds in disgust. I've learned that Diego doesn't like new vampires, especially ones that were changed by rogues.

"You should leave me alone unless you want more," I snap at him and turn my attention on the papers in front of me. He's really getting on my nerves, thinking he can tell me what to do. The room stays quiet, making me think that he's gone but all of a sudden his voice booms again.

"I know she's alive," his voice is low but calm like he knew all along. I keep my eyes on my papers to try and hide my rage.

"Who are you talking about?" I question and grab the edge of the desk to keep myself calm. At this rate, I'll end up slipping and telling him.

"Don't act dumb with me. I know Amanda is alive and I know you are trying to save her," he hisses but I don't break. I need to stay calm.

"Amanda's dead and you know that. We visited her funeral, remember," I add, remembering the sight of her lifeless body.

"I get you not wanting to tell me but just know, I'm not against you. Just watch out for the rest of the coven and the leaders. A lot of people don't like her right now," he warns and exits the room, Leaving me to myself once again. My mind races on how I would be able to protect her. How would I keep this a secret?

***

Amanda's POV:

"What are you on about?" Christen asks as she catches me and Elijah bickering about the tv channel.

"I'm trying to read but Elijah is trying to watch a horror movie, which is distracting," I say but Elijah cuts me off by laughing.

"You can go to the other room!" He yells, ticking me off a bit. I punch his arm and soon I'm pushed to the ground and that's when the fighting begins.

"Stop!" Christen yells, catching both of our attention, "Y'all are acting like children." I move away from Elijah after Christens outburst and into the bedroom. I was awake most of last night, this place has me on edge, especially with Christen being in a house full of rogues. I lay down and listen to Christen and Elijah softly talking.

"You know that Amanda didn't want to abandon you, she was scared that she'd hurt you," Elijah says as I pull the cover over my face.

"I'm just glad she's safe," her voice comes out a whisper and I can tell her heart hurts. I've done so much to her and can't take it back, all I can do is make it better. I rise from the bed and creep over to the door before pulling it open to expose Elijah and Christen. An awkward silence breaks out in the room while they both stare at me and I don't blame them.

"I'm sorry for never being there. I just... I wanted you to hear it from me. I was only distant because I didn't want you involved in this shit even though it ended up that way either way. I promise that I won't let anyone touch you though," I say all at once, making me gasp for air at the end, eating a chuckle from Elijah. Christens lips form a slight frown as she thinks on what to say.