​🇹​​🇭​​🇪​ ​🇹​​🇪​​🇸​​🇹​​🇦​​🇲​​🇪​​🇳​​🇹​ ​🇴​​🇫​ ​🇸​​🇮​​🇸​​🇹​​🇪​​🇷​​🇭​​🇴​​🇴​​🇩​

The awakening comes with the distant rumble of a storm outside Whitehall Palace

The awakening comes with the distant rumble of a storm outside Whitehall Palace. Raindrops patter against the windowpane, a relentless rhythm echoing through the chambers. England's snow begins its gradual retreat, hailed as a divine blessing by some, yet the rain remains a cold, biting presence, casting a somber hue over the New Year's dawn. Despite the chill outside, many find solace in the warmth of the fire, nestled in the comfort of their beds. Winter lingers, but the promise of spring hovers on the horizon.

Rumors whisper of a meeting between the King and my father, Thomas Boleyn. Lingering animosity brews between them, steeped in the shared grief over lost sons—Henry Fitzroy for the King and George for my father. Yet, in contrast to the weight of mourning, my father wears no cloak of sorrow. Meanwhile, my lady mother, the countess, maintains her distance from him, choosing to avoid his company whenever possible. Nevertheless, she fulfills her duty as a devoted wife, having borne him healthy children who have flourished into adulthood.

The spoils of victory lay before me, blessed by the divine grace of God. Upon the birth of my son, Arthur, I shall ascend to the throne as the Queen of England. Once more, England shall know the reign of King Arthur—a radiant symbol of unity and strength surpassing all predecessors. May I live to witness his ascension, akin to Margaret Beaufort's triumph. The grandeur of Westminster's coronation shall surpass all prior celebrations, with Arthur cradled in my arms as I am crowned.

My mind dances with the allure of the crown, its enchantment weaving through my thoughts like a seductive melody. Yet, I must remain composed. Excitement pulses within, mingling with the gentle stirrings of the child within me. I crave solitude, longing for a smooth and safe journey for my son's arrival. Let the king seek his pleasures elsewhere during my confinement; his actions hold no sway over me. A king's prerogative includes a mistress, while his queen awaits the birth of their heir.

As the rain's melody serenades me through the window, I stir from my bed, parched and yearning for refreshment. Silently, I slip from the covers, mindful not to disturb my slumbering ladies-in-waiting. This solitary moment is precious, one I may not experience again.

With measured steps, I traverse the room, drawn to the warmth of the crackling fire. The floor welcomes my tread as I approach the table, pouring a cup of water with care. A faint rustling from the adjacent chamber stirs my senses, and I pray it is not one of my attendants awakening to my nocturnal venture.

Anticipation grips me; I long for the child within to emerge, though it is far too early. Patience must prevail as I sip the water slowly, warding off any semblance of illness. The creak of approaching footsteps echoes, heightening my senses as I await their presence.

When I turn after lowering my cup onto the table, I see it is my lady Isabelle. "Milady, what are you doing up? I think you should rest." I smiled at her. I walked toward her and hugged her warmly. She had been a good friend during my time of need. "I will shortly." I pulled back from the embrace to look at her. Her hair glows in the silhouette of light. It is only our shadows that blend as if they were lovers. Secret lovers. "If you do not go to bed, then I will stay up with you until you have taken a rest."

Isabelle embodies kindness and tenderness, qualities that promise a bright future as a mother. Her maternal instincts are as radiant as Elizabeth's, fostering a deep connection between us. Together, we bask in the warmth of the fire, sharing stories of our families and reminiscing on the past, pondering what could have been altered.

Reflecting on my own journey, I regret allowing vanity to cloud my judgment, leading me astray from my true desires, such as marrying Henry Percy. The memory of our clandestine romance lingers, reminding me of a time when I never envisioned myself as Queen of England, fearing I would meet the same fate as my sister Mary.

As I observe Isabelle, a pang of longing for my sister Mary washes over me, prompting a decision to reconcile and bring her back to court, seeking forgiveness for my past actions. The crown's allure can corrupt the soul, yet I remain resilient.

Outside, the rain ceases, replaced by the sweet melodies of birdsong, signaling the dawn of a new day. The room is aglow with the impending sunrise, infusing us with a sense of joy and camaraderie. Our laughter fills the air like the tinkling of bells until the arrival of the countess interrupts our reverie.

"Are you out of your mind, girl? Do you realize the risk to the child of not resting as you should? Didn't I warn you that getting up could lead to a miscarriage? Do you think the king will overlook such negligence if you lose his son?" The stern reprimand came from the old woman, who treated me like a disobedient child. I suspected the King had instructed her to ensure I remained confined until I presented him with a son. Though I may quote my future husband, I am still his wife in the eyes of God, and he cannot simply cast me aside or deny our daughter Elizabeth.

As she approached, she dismissed Isabel, granting us privacy. "You were correct in your concern. However, the child is well, and I am certain of it. He was active throughout the night, his lively movements keeping me awake. It seems our conversations excited him greatly. One day, he will marry a remarkable woman and ascend the throne of England. I pray for a son, and my intuition tells me it is so. This hope feels different from the first time."

Observing the relief on my mother's face upon hearing the news of the child's well-being, I sensed her forgiveness. We sat together as the fire dwindled, a silent understanding passing between us. "I am comforted to know the boy thrives within you. Despite the challenges we face with the King, I am certain you will deliver a healthy baby boy and emerge unscathed," she remarked softly, the weight of her words lingering in the quiet aftermath of our conversation.

I caress my swelling abdomen, feeling the stirrings of life within, and anticipation floods me as I wonder about the features of the boy growing inside. I hope he inherits my eyes, like Elizabeth did. Watching my daughter, who mirrors my mannerisms, fills me with excitement for the woman she will become. I eagerly await her transformation into a graceful young lady, nurtured by the finest tutors. My son, destined to be the future king of England, and Elizabeth will share a special bond, a thought that fills me with pride.

The creak of a chair beside me signals my mother's approach. Rising to stand beside me, she places a gentle hand on my stomach, feeling the child's movements. Her expression of astonishment is priceless. "He is spirited," I affirm with a nod. She leaves me to cherish the moment for a while longer before dutifully instructing me back to bed.

Before she goes, I ask her to write a letter to my sister Mary, expressing my desire for her presence. Sisterhood, I realize, is a cherished bond, one that holds immense importance in a woman's life, and I am determined to treasure it.