​🇹​​🇭​​🇪​ ​🇮​​🇳​​🇹​​🇪​​🇬​​🇷​​🇮​​🇹​​🇾​ ​🇹​​🇪​​🇸​​🇹​​🇦​​🇲​​🇪​​🇳​​🇹​

The Marquess of Pembroke, a shrewd manipulator, has orchestrated a subtle display of affection from my sister, assigning two maids to attend to my needs. Yet beneath the facade of familial love lies a rift that has widened between us. The courtly life, with its labyrinth of intrigue and temptation, holds no allure for me. I yearn for the simplicity of country living, where the company of my husband and children suffices.

As I stroll through the gardens of Whitehall Palace with my beloved William, I am reminded of the transient nature of courtly favor. Envious gazes follow our every step, but their jealousy cannot dim the warmth of our love. William, a beacon of steadfastness in my life, fills me with gratitude for his unwavering devotion.

Bernadette Howard, my cousin and lady-in-waiting, shadows our every move; her loyalty is a matter of suspicion. The palace teems with spies, each vying for the king's favor and eager to uncover any hint of dissent. I tread cautiously, mindful of the dangers that lurk in every shadow.

As we retreat to our chambers, I am handed a letter bearing the countess's seal. With bated breath, I break the seal and read its contents, grateful for a moment of solitude amidst the tumult of courtly life.

I glance over the letter hastily, recognizing my mother's elegant script.

Mary,

I have a task for you. You are aware of Lady Mary Tudor's presence at court. If not, I will inform you now. I need you to gather information from the girl. It is imperative that we mend relations with her. Despite my efforts, she remains obstinate. Rumors of marriage swirl around her, potentially to a foreign prince. Initially, the Howards were suggested, but the King has other plans, considering a French noble or someone from beyond the seas. Yet, Lady Mary's resistance persists, driven by her staunch Catholic beliefs. I recall your past kindness toward her as a child. Perhaps you can use this to your advantage, offering her the solace of a maternal figure in the absence of her own. This is the task I entrust to you: to bridge the gap between our families. You must succeed or face dire consequences, including a return to the country without a penny in your name.

Your Concerned Mother

The contents of the letter stir a storm of emotions within me, and I crumple it before tossing it into the flames. The audacity of my mother's demands infuriates me, yet I am compelled to comply for the sake of my own security and that of my children. Threats of destitution loom over me should I fail.

Lost in my thoughts, I barely register my husband's approach. I keep the contents of the letter to myself, unwilling to burden him further. Seeking solace, I retreat to my chambers, shedding the trappings of courtly life to stand before the mirror, stripped bare, both physically and emotionally. This is the path I have chosen, and I must tread it carefully.

As Bernadette enters, her concern for my well-being clashes with my own resolve. Despite her protests, I dismiss her worries, allowing her to draw a bath, though my mind remains preoccupied with the weight of my responsibilities.

Alone in the soothing warmth of the bath, attended to by diligent maids, I find a fleeting moment of tranquility amidst the chaos of courtly obligations.