Chapter Two (Edited)

This isn't exactly what I had in mind

The Alpha stared down at the still figure in his arms. She had a fragile beauty about her - so pale that only her soft, almost imperceptible breathing reassured him she was still alive. Red hair framed her face, highlighting impossibly long eyelashes. The tangled locks flowed down her shoulders and pooled amongst the autumn leaves on the forest floor.

Despite himself, he found his eyes drifting across the thin sundress that reached no further than her knees and left her arms bare and exposed to the cool autumn breeze. His body automatically responded to her soft curves, and he closed his eyes, berating himself.

His wolf growled within him.

As his senses adjusted to her sudden proximity, the sharp tang of iron reached his nostrils, and he registered the myriad of scratches that criss-crossed her exposed skin. Red lines, so thin and light they barely shed any blood at all. The rusty, metallic tang came from the drops of blood falling slowly from the cuts to her bare feet and, most worryingly, the nasty-looking head wound that was still oozing into her hairline.

The strange scent that had drifted through the forest toward them surrounded her like a perfume making his wolf whimper in agitation. But he could sense no signs of rogue on her, nor in the surrounding area.

He spared a glance towards Marcus, still in his wolf form and trying to contain a low growl as he stared at the unconscious girl in his Alpha's arms. The cloying cocktail of blood and unnatural scent screamed danger, and his lips had raised into the first hint of a snarl, fur bristling as tension rippled from muzzle to tail.

Careful, Rothan warned.

Realising that his Beta was close to losing control, Blake carefully twisted his body away from him, shielding the girl from view, all the while keeping his eyes trained on the huge wolf. "Back away," he ordered the grey wolf quietly as he watched its eyes flicker from gold to black and back again.

Females were protected and nurtured in Blake's pack, it was his number one rule. Although all the pups learned some level of fighting skills at a young age for their own safety, the boys were taught that it was a part of their duty to protect and care for the females of the pack - future mates and the producers of the next generation.

His wolf's natural instinct to eliminate the source of potential danger to the pack was warring with Marcus's urge to seek out and tear apart the cause of the girl's injuries. It was an overwhelming assault on the senses as the wolf's basic instincts battled against the law of the pack.

A little help here? Blake appealed to his wolf.

Blake could feel Rothan pacing back and forth in his mind, firmly on edge, but while the Alpha wolf was channelling their fiercesome self-control and keeping himself in check, Marcus was snarling as he fought against his wolf, Akoni, for dominance. Once unleashed, Akoni would be in complete control, and might even attack his Alpha in order to get at the girl he was shielding.