Chapter Fifty Two

Hannah's eyes followed the Alpha as he paced around the clearing, his eyes glazed and a mix of anger and determination written across his face

Hannah's eyes followed the Alpha as he paced around the clearing, his eyes glazed and a mix of anger and determination written across his face. Every now and then his vision would clear and he'd bark a few orders at his nearby warriors, who leapt to follow them with grim expressions and sharpened blades.

The clear up would have to wait. The dead, lying forgotten and unburied as long as the pack were under attack.

Dylan’s arms tightened around her as he spoke quietly with his father, planning their escape. She paid them little attention, her thoughts on the pack she had come so close to viewing as her own.

Were they safe? How far deep had the attackers penetrated this time? 

Hannah watched as Alex gathered a large group of fighters and dashed away towards the borders.

They wouldn't be so far away if it weren't for her...

Her time with Fenrik hadn't been completely wasted though. She was convinced she’d discovered the key to the rogues location, if she could persuade someone to listen to her.

She hadn't missed the way Blake avoided her eyes as his gaze flickered across the three red-heads near the edge of the encampment, and there was no mistaking the tension in his shoulders every time he turned in their direction.

He loves me, but he doesn't want me, she remembered, watching him organise his pack with lightening speed. A perfect Alpha, calm, in control and full of a rage that would make the world tremble. No, she corrected herself. He does want me... but he chose his pack instead.

She couldn't hate him. It would have been easier if she could. Rail against his choices, convince herself he had led her on. But no. Blake’s commitment to his pack was one of the reasons she loved and admired him; she could no more use it to hurt him than bite off her own arm, and she'd seen the tortured pain in his eyes, the agony of his decision to let her go.

She twisted to look up at the boyish face of her mate. She could learn to love him, couldn't she? Maybe, once they were mated, all her memories would come flooding back and she would find herself once again deliriously happy. Maybe she would come to believe Blake had been right to send her away.

Dylan glanced down at her tucked under his arm, and offered her a warm smile, which she returned tentatively.

He loved her, she mused, tracing the soft, red stubble that covered his jawline. Didn't he? As much as Blake? More than Blake? He was her true mate, after all.

She wasn't naive enough to believe that true mates fell in love as soon as they met. The bond was hormonal, a mix of attraction between the humans and a stronger, primal connection between their wolves. Love, if it arrived at all, came later.

How far had their bond had taken them before she'd forgotten him?

Hannah’s eyes found Blake once again, deep in conversation with his Beta. Alex had long since fled towards their borders to join the patrols defending their pack. She couldn't imagine ever forgetting the love she felt for the handsome Alpha and the deep connection that had developed between them.