Chapter Fifty One

Hannah didn't know how long she sat on the cold, scuffed ground, staring down at the turbulent river below

The wind whipped the leaves up from the forest floor and launched themselves out into the open air of the abyss, like a flurry of soldiers joining a furious aerial battle. Across the treetops the wolf-song soared, howling out their loss in a beautiful, mournful chorus.

Her hair flew across her eyes, joining the fiery dance until the strands fell in wild tangles all across her face. She paid them no mind, her eyes searching the choppy waters where the three wolves had vanished so completely.

He was gone.

Slowly, the approaching winter chill began to seep through her clothes making her shiver and the numbness in her shoulder became a deep throb as her body finally registered its injury. The sensation grew and spread across her chest and down her arm until she was forced to keep her breathing as shallow as possible to avoid the worst of the pain.

perhaps it was broken after all? Or perhaps the pain in her heart had manifested itself into physical torture... what did it matter?

She loved him. And he was gone. Nothing else mattered.

So, when a wolf padded out from the depths of the forest, she spared it little more than an uninterested glance. A huge wolf, nearly as large as the Alpha, fur more silver than grey, matted in places by streaks of dried blood and dirt.

Picking it’s way over the uneven ground, it meandered towards her, a flurry of leaves kicking up from the forest floor. The wind caught them, tossing them out over the edge to join their companions.

Pausing at the very edge, it followed her gaze out over the escarpment and down into the rushing waters below with a vague curiosity, before turning to the red-head with a puzzled look in its tawny eyes.

Raw eyes were all she could offer it, her voice hoarse with screaming Blake's name over and over into the wind.

The wolf snorted softly and nudged at her shoulder. She let out a whimper of pain, but made no effort to move. It tilted its head, studying her tear streaked face, then sighed and placed one giant paw over her hand, forcing her to acknowledge it.

“Stop that,” she mumbled.

There was a deep familiarity about the wolf's features that cut through her impassivity and she brushed the tangled knots of hair out of her eyes, paying closer attention. Deep within the soft, tawny eyes, tiny flecks of emeralds glimmered. The mark of a Delta.

If the wolf’s head weren't currently pressed against her own as it continued its efforts to haul her to her feet, she would never have noticed the subtle difference.

“Asher?” she guessed tentatively.

Nodding, he resumed his efforts to cajole her to her feet.