Chapter Nine (Edited)

Not long after Blake had dashed out of the ward without explanation, the entire hospital exploded into a hive of frantic activity

Nurses ran past Hannah's doorway carrying armfuls of medical supplies. Porters wheeled equipment from one ward to another, and even the warriors got stuck in; carrying an entire bed out of her ward and down the corridor towards the consultation room.

Presiding over all the frantic activity stood Doc at the nurses station - as stoic as always - calmly directing people to their different stations and effectively organising the chaos to his advantage.

Hannah sat cross legged on her bed watching it all, trying desperately to quell the knot of worry in her gut. The only clue as to what was going on came from a busy porter rushing past, excitedly talking to a nurse by his side. She heard the word ‘rogue’ amongst the chatter and surmised that there must have been another attack.

As the injured began trickling into the hospital, a large brown wolf with blood across its shoulder poked its curious head into her ward and growled at her.

It was immediately yanked back by the scruff of its neck by Issac who was flying by in the opposite direction. He managed to shoot her an apologetic look before the ward door was quietly but firmly closed and the solid oak cut off her line of sight.

She turned her head towards the glass – the only thing separating her from the vast forest beyond – naively expecting to see some evidence of the fierce battle raging outside. Craning her neck, she scanned the landscape, desperate for even the tiniest bit of information. But the trees remained silent. Deceptively calm, forest did its best to lull her into a false sense of peaceful serenity. Nothing to see here... She threw herself back against the bed in disgust. The rogues must be attacking from the other side of the territory.

Her attention returned to the corridor. For the next couple hours, the only connection she had beyond her doors were the voices that drifted back through to her periodically. Snatches of conversations amidst the bustle outside.

“Put him in this ward...”

“Not that one! Use the linen bandages...”

“ ...straight to theatre...”

“Goddess, she's heavier than she looks...”

“...just stab it in, stop being a big baby!”

At one point, a loud exclamation from Issac: “What the hell's he doing in here? Rogues to the dungeons - Doc'll get to them when he's got time...”

It was quickly apparent, even to an outsider like Hannah, that this attack was much larger than the last one. A steady stream of casualties seemed to pass by her ward that evening – by the sounds of it, most with minor injuries that meant they could leave as soon as they'd been examined.

Once, in a fit of exasperation, she heard a voice that was clearly Jenni’s, yell:

Oh, for Goddess sake! It's just a scratch - stop wasting my time, you idiot!” followed by a deep growl and a sharp yelp.