Chapter Eighteen (Edited)

"Are you absolutely sure about this?"

"As sure as I can be without walking in there and checking it out for myself."

Quite how Asher had slipped past not only the border patrols, but also the warriors assigned the Alpha's house remained unclear. But they had found him lounging in the study – one leg casually thrown over the arm of the leather chair, a glass of whisky in hand.

As expected, he’d wasted no time setting up the chess board once he discovered Hannah's aptness for the game, and gestured her to the other armchair. Blake settled behind his desk, a fresh pile of paperwork waiting for his attention.

Despite having no hint of a clue why Asher had turned back up so unexpectedly, not much had been said to begin with. Asher and Hannah concentrated on getting to know each other’s style of play as they made their first moves on the board; Hannah, cautiously studying her opponent and Asher, quietly superior. Cockily confident that he would, as always, win in the end.

Blake sat in silence, tackling some of his neglected pack duties: transfer requests that had been waiting far too long, Alex's new patrol schedules that needed the Alpha's approval, and invitations to the long-awaited Winter Solstice Dinner – a fast approaching tradition that Blake would happily delay indefinitely this year, if he could.

He kept one eye on his brother and their guest, content to wait it out. He knew Asher would get to the point once he had settled into his new game.

Hannah wore a frown of concentration on her face as she analysed both the board and her opponent, and Blake was forced to hide a smile as he realised, she was matching his brother step for step.

Asher might actually have found a worthy opponent for once, he mused to himself.

She'll eat him alive, Rothan agreed with glee.

Eventually Asher began to talk. "I came across some information yesterday. Thought it might be prudent to share it with you, given the circumstances."

"You came across it?" Blake asked, sceptically.

"It fell into my lap." His brother grinned. "Elmwood has been negotiating some sort of a deal with the Northern Rogues for weeks now. Syrus claims that it's a supply agreement, a way for his pack to trade in the nearby human settlements without interference" – He moved a pawn to intercept one of Hannah's – "but, nothing is ever simple with that man. The rogues would jump at the chance for a neutral zone, it's in their best interests after all. But I asked myself: what is Syrus getting out of it?"

"Enlighten me," Blake said dryly, one eyebrow raised.

"Haven't a clue," Asher admitted.

"If you had to guess?" Blake prompted, knowing full well his brother would have run through all the scenarios in his head by now.