Chapter Thirteen (Edited)

Hannah had endured three weeks under the watchful eyes of the pack since the revelation of her werewolf heritage had come to light

Hannah had endured three weeks under the watchful eyes of the pack since the revelation of her werewolf heritage had come to light. Fears for her safety and the security of the hospital had led to two moves during this time.

The first was into the pack house, one of the biggest buildings in the entire Blackridge territory. Marcus had given her the tour - her new self-appointed guardian. He, out of all of them, had acted with the least suspicion about her once the truth surrounding her scent was revealed, and he was happy to relieve Issac as often as possible to spend time with her.

Unfortunately, she suspected his decision had as much to do with finding out more about her as it had a genuine friendliness. But it was nice to spend time in the company of someone who didn't involuntarily flinch every time she came too close.

Although the hospital had been a later addition to the pack house, its spaciousness and open concept matched the rest of the building seamlessly. If she didn't know any better, she wouldn't have believed they were built decades apart.

Outside, the house had retained its rustic charm and fitted in perfectly with the village aesthetic - a vision of pack life a hundred years ago when the first of these houses must have been built.

But inside, the crisp lines and modern interior spoke of an extensive and very expensive series of renovations. Marcus had smiled at her interest, and answered her questions with an enthusiasm she hadn't been expecting. Not many outsiders had a chance to explore the heart of their pack, and he was openly delighted; explaining as much as he could about the architecture and history of the village.

She learned from him that the pack house had burned down during the uprising that saw Avery Hunter, Blake's father, take over as Alpha of the Blackridge pack. He'd rebuilt it from the ground up, recreating the original exterior but taking the opportunity to make massive changes inside.

The result was truly breath-taking; all oak wood and chrome with glass balconies and partitions surrounded by modern fixtures and fittings. There wasn't a corner of the main floor where you couldn't see the central kitchen to some extent, and the ceilings seemed impossibly high thanks to the mezzanine balcony that ran around the second story.

The pack house was noisy and crowded. Full of teenage hormones and warriors in training. The ground floor was mostly communal, centralised by the huge kitchen and dining room with rooms leading off to a games room, library, TV room and gym. There were two upper and one lower floor as well, all dedicated to private rooms for each of the residents.

Once they gained their wolves, a certain amount of training was necessary to learn both control and responsibility. Marcus explained wryly that it was easier to house all of the older teenagers under one roof - better to keep an eye on them.

As beautiful as the building was, she couldn't relax when she ventured onto the main floor of the house. Eyes followed her wherever she went; not hostile, just watching. Overall, the adolescent wolves regarded Hannah with a mixture of suspicion and fascination and she knew they struggled to hide their unease around her scent.