Chapter Thirty Six (Edited)

"Hannah!" Blake's rich, deep voice carried across the garden; penetrating the steady sheet of rain to reach the red-head sheltering under one the giant oaks in his garden

"Hannah!" Blake's rich, deep voice carried across the garden; penetrating the steady sheet of rain to reach the red-head sheltering under one the giant oaks in his garden. The ancient trees broke up the green sea of overgrown grass that called itself a lawn and provided a canopy of autumn leaves that deflected the worst of the rain.

She turned her head slightly in his direction but made no move to return to the house.

"She's been out here all morning," Amara told him through the link, her fur standing on end in the wet weather. She had remained vigilant by Hannah's side, waiting patiently for the Alphas return.

Blake had spent the night at the hospital, waiting for news on his Beta. Sometime around midnight, exhaustion had finally gotten the better of him and he'd fallen into a deep sleep that had lasted until well into the following morning.

Why didn't you wake us? he chastised his wolf when they struggled back to consciousness.

I enjoy being able to think clearly, came Rothan's dry reply.

After checking on Marcus - who still lay trapped in a deep, and hopefully dreamless sleep - he had sought out Doc to ensure his brother was staying put. He was. For now.

Despite his reservations about her presence in his neat and tidy hospital, Doc's task had been made surprisingly easier by the continued vigil of Aunt Sarah. She had waited by his bed patiently until Asher had returned to the waking world, stared deeply into her nephew's bloodshot eyes and promised all sorts of unpleasantries if he didn't do exactly as he were told.

So far, Asher was still too weak to put up much of a fight but, Blake had seen the glint in his brother's eye - full of the promise of trouble later on.

Eventually, Blake's instincts had led him back to his house; seeking the one person he really wanted to see, Hannah.

His heart hitched a beat as he finally laid eyes on her again, his wolf itching to sweep her up into his arms. Days of worry and tension seemed to drain from his shoulders as he gazed at her, replaced with an irresistible urge to find out what it would be like to run his fingers through her hair one more time. He had expected to find her inside though.

"It's raining," his brow furrowed as he looked questioningly down at Amara.

"So I've noticed," she replied dryly, shaking out her fur. "She won't come in. Said something about the sound of rain being a calming influence... it's been a long couple of days," she added, tucking her tail as far under her body as she could.

"I've heard," Blake acknowledged. "You've earned a rest, Amara. Thank you, for your loyalty." He placed one hand against her neck, a gesture of respect between wolves, and Amara shivered with delight at her Alpha's approval. "Go. I've got her, now."

She hesitated a moment, her tawny eyes expressive as she forgot herself for a moment; You better had.

Surprised, but pleased with her sway in opinion, he chose not to notice and turned towards the giant oak her charge sheltered under. He didn't see her pad gratefully back into the warmth... his focus now entirely on Hannah.